Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem with boot-up after adding new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougpeplow

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
FR
I have just tried to install a brand new Maxtor h/drive in an old PC. Using a start-up disk in a: I successfully started the formatting and partitioning part of the installation, but must have got something in the wrong sequence, as I got a series of error messages, (which I can't now remeber). after 2 or 3 re-boots I seemed to be OK and created a c: and D drive. I loaded windows 3.1 from floppies (CD-Rom driver not yet installed). On re-boot from this, the PC now 'locks up'. It recognises the floppy drive, starts to boot, and then starts to check the harddrive (I can hear it respond with a click) but the the screen shows only a blinking cursor in top left corner and no further action.<br>Any help please <p> Doug<br><a href=mailto: doug.gray@contactbox.co.uk> doug.gray@contactbox.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br> To be added when I can narrow it down a bit

I guess you should check if your first partition is marked as ACTIVE, use fdisk then (2) to mark it.<br><br>Then, maybe you just forgot to transfer system files to the drive? use SYS or FORMAT /S command<br><br>Good luck!

Almost impossible to get stuff in the wrong sequence without getting error messages. And if you have error messages they are important.<br>Suggest fdisk and remove partitions and start over from scratch. and when you get error message, write it down.<br>The hang up is the system waiting for the IDE drive to come online and respond with bootstrap. <br>And be aware that there are combinations of controllers and drives that have timing problems that prevent the drive from working without a low level reformat. THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION THAT YOU DO THIS. <p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>

thank you but...<br>The system hangs and so I can't get to a: drive to try the remedies you suggest for me. If I soft&nbsp;&nbsp;or hard boot without the start-up disk in, I get message 'missing oerating system' and the PC hangs - If I put the start-up disk in, the system hangs, either way all I get is a blinking cursor and no means of trying anything else??<br>o you have any suggestions further pls<br>Dougpeplow

If your trying to boot with a system floppy and it hangs then the boot sequence may be set to look at the HD first and the floppy second.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Probably have to hold down the &quot;DELETE&quot; key right after the memory check to get to the bios setup.&nbsp;&nbsp;In extended bios settings there may be the 1st and 2nd boot device choices.

From Dougpeplow - with the help of some of you off line, I've now solved the problem - the BIOS would not deal with 8,000 plus cylinders and I had to get the PC to load MAXTOR's maxblaster to 'extend the BIOS...!!.' It worked, and I can now proceed <br>Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back