Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Aztech CNR2800 modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jehannum

Technical User
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have been using this modem succesfully with my Win XP home system (bought from packard bell with the modem installed) for about a year. A few days ago i hit a problem dialling up a connection.

I know it is not the phone line as my notebook connects just fine, so it must be XP or the modem.

basically what happens on dial up is it connects fine, verifies user name like normal then shows i am connected, however no other software recognises the fact i'm connected. This happens with two different ISP's (AOL and Freeserve).

I can send and receive faxes with the modem no problem. Dignostics on the modem say it is working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution?

thanks

to see if it a browsing issue or not do me a favor.

after connecting got o start>run>type 'cmd' hit enter at the dos prompt typr "ping and hit enter. if it gives replies then you're connected and should be able to browse fine. if it gives you "unknown host..." your modem is not working properly. if it gives "request timed out" try pinging "ping 127.0.0.1" to see if your tcp/ip is working properly.

this will let us know alot about your connection. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

thanks,

i can ping my own computer but nothing beyond. Pinging yahoo.com gives host unreachable.

ipconfig shows the normal dns servers for my isp but shows DHCP as disabled. is this normal?

and how to i enable it?

you need to not specify your IP address in network properties, thats all. do the following..

go to start>coconnect to> show all connections>right-click your connection>click properties> click networking tab> highlight tcp/ip internet protocol (while i was here i'd get ird of any extra crap) click porpeties and make sure "automaticly obtain IP address" is selected.

however you may have been looking at the ipconfig info for your network card if you have one. if so do the same thing for it, "local area network" icon.

let me know what happens. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back