Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Avaya 4602 IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD355

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2015
GR
Hello again !!!

This time I am experiencing a different problem with a different Avaya 4602 IP telephone device.

This telephone was working just fine for over 10 years and suddenly it started displaying the message "Discover 192.168.2.80"

No matter how many times I restarted the phone or switched ethernet port on the network it kept showing the same message.

I connected the phone to the TFTP server and uploaded the proper files that other phone work with... but the same problem...

I reset the phone multiple times using the reset codes HOLD CLEAR (25327) but no luck...

Now whan I start the phone it says : Loading a02d01b2.bin
It says "Starting..."
Looks for "46xxupgrade.scr" (I switch TFTP off)
"HTTPS 1 -905"
Looks for TFTP
"Registering..."
"Discover 192.168.2.80"

and gets stuck there...

Any ideas ?

You almost for sure have a network issue if that IP address is your PROCR address. Compare it to another phone… are they all registering to 2.80? If so, then you probably need to see why the packets leaving the telephone don’t make it to PROCR (Hint: It’s somewhere in the network, assuming the phones and PBX haven’t changed).

Thank you for your reply !!
It is very weird, because I put a laptop on the network, I ping Avaya PBX server, everything is fine...
And from the same network I put this 4602 IP telephone and nothing...
All of the other 4602 IP telephones with the same setup work just fine..
Furthermore, just to check I reset the Avaya PBX, but no luck with this phone..

This must be the most annoying problem because everything seems to be fine, but the phone keeps showing "Discover 192.168.2.80" the address of the PBX...

I reset the phone again..
I input all the IP parameters
It asked for extension...
I put the correct extension...
It said "Registering..."
and again "Discover 192.168.2.80"

Any clue ?
Thanks !!

Have you been through the usual troubleshooting?
swap "bad" handset with known good one?
Does fault follow handset? if yes, either faulty hardware (4602 hasn't been available for 15 years or so. it may just be dead) or config. if no, then maybe network (cable, switch port etc)

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Update update update :

Today I decided that I was going to try something simple, just take a small 8-port switch and go the the Avaya PBX, remove the ethernet cables from the PBX and connect them to the small switch with just this Avaya 4600 IP device.

My Avaya Definity PBX has 2 ethernet connections, one for the PBX and one for the media gateway of the PBX (if I remember correctly these were the names).
In this case the addresses are 192.168.2.80 PBX and 192.168.2.82 for the media gateway.
The 4602 IP was setup with an address of 192.168.2.213

After I started the device, it asked for an extension number.
I entered the correct extension.
Next it asked for password.
I tried a couple of times but it didn't work.
I did a factory reset with the five digit code followed by # key.
Next I did the same procedure and voila, the phone worked just fine !!!!

So it is a network issue that I need to resolve !!!

Over the last week I had identified a problem in the setup of our router and asked the support company to fix it.
Specifically we have 3 networks :
192.168.0.0/24 for backoffice/server
192.168.1.0/24 for Wifi
192.168.2.0/24 for Internet TV and Avaya Definity IP phones

Ask you can understand the most critical is the 192.168.0.0 network that we need to protect for access for the other two.
For some reason the firewall was not working properly and you could access devices both from the Wifi and Internet TV network.
So I asked Router support team to restrict access from Wifi and Internet TV network toward Backoffice/server network.
I think they messed something up, because now even though I can ping devices on the 192.168.2.0 network, maybe some ports are blocked...

I issued a request to fix this... Lets see

I forgot to update.
It was a network issue... FIXED everything worked fine...

The reason I have the IP phones on the Internet TV network is because the IP phones network is a public network the same as the Internet TV... So I could not put IP Phones on company intranet/server network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back