Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with Autonumber in append query

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlbartley

MIS
Feb 4, 2002
US
I have two tables:
FixedFields: ID (AutoNumber), OrigYear, Mid, Specdetail
VarFields: ID (joined to FixedFields.ID), RecordType, PlanYear, 4DWFTE)

I want to append records into both tables, grouping by ID where sum(VarFields.4DWFTW)<>0 and VarFields.PlanYear = 2001. How do I do an append query and append into both tables? If I have to do seperate ones, how do I pick up FixedFields.ID and insert it into VarFields.ID? I don't know VB so am trying to do all of this through SQL. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

That is why I avoid autonumbers when at all possible. But, you should be able to do the following.

INSERT FixedFields: (OrigYear, Mid, Specdetail)
DMAX() to get maximum ID
INSERT ID (joined to FixedFields.ID), RecordType, PlanYear, 4DWFTE)

'don't include the Autonumber field on 1st INSERT also.

htwh
Steve Medvid
&quot;IT Consultant & Web Master&quot;

Thank you for the post.

Could you help me out a little bit more with the sql.
Right now I have

INSERT INTO FixedFields (OrigYear, Mid, Specdetail)
SELECT FixedFields.OrigYear, FixedFields.Mid, FixedFields.Specdetail, Sum(VarFields.[4DWFTE]
FROM FixedFields INNER JOIN VarFields ON FixedFields.InitiativeNo = VarFields.InitiativeNo
GROUP BY FixedFields.OrigYear, FixedFields.Mid, FixedFields.Specdetail
HAVING (Sum(VarFields.[4DWFTE])<>0) AND ((VarFields.PlanYear) = &quot;2001&quot;)

I'm not sure where I would put in the DMAX, would it be right after the having and do I need to do a second join?
Thanks for more help!

The approach I suggested was broken into 3 sections...

1. Insert SQL - Parent Table
2. lnVariable = DMax(..) A seperate line in a procedure.
3. Insert SQL - Child Table - using lnVariable() for ID field.

-> But, u could possibly avoid using the lnVariable and imbed the DMax() within the Select, it may work, never tried it. Good thought though.

My preference would be to develop a procedure to handle this as opposed to putting everything into SQL. Steve Medvid
&quot;IT Consultant & Web Master&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back