Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with automatic update of field in Word 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIMSman

Technical User
Aug 2, 2002
GB
I am trying to link fields in a collection of Word 2003 documents to a central reference document with bookmarked text strings so that when the details in the reference document change, all other documents reflect the change on opening.

I have used Insert/Field/IncludeText in the documents pointing to a Bookmark in the reference doc. I have attempted to set options in Word to automatically update on opening but, in practice, the change does not take effect until a manual update is performed.

Any suggestions (preferably not resorting to macros)?

Thanks

LM

You can have an automatic update for printing but as far as I know you can not do an automatic update on opening the file - that is without code in the the Document_Open event.

What is your objection to code?

Gerry

Thanks Gerry - my main requirement is to view the document with fields already updated. I briefly looked at the update at printing - my first attempt didn't update - perhaps I overlooked some setting.

My problem with resorting to code is that our IT team is preoccupied with security and doesn't like allowing macros to be run nor do they want to become involved with signed/certificated macros.

LM

Gerry is correct. This cannot be done without code.

If Fields are set to update on printing they update on the printed copy but not the document itself in Word or on disk.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

IT departments usually DO get concerned with security. And that is good.

However, I do wish they would realistically assess threats. There is very simple and short code that will update fields when a document is opened. It does not affect servers, or networks. It does not send email and does not affect operating systems or registry settings.

In other words it can do what needs to get done with no threat whatsoever.

Sorry, but you are stuck. Again, you can set Word to automatically update fields before printing, but not when opening the document. You can make it do so with code.

Gerry

Tony - thanks for your response.

Gerry - you're right, I am stuck! I agree with your view on using code but I'm dealing with an IT team whose stock line is "security considerations preclude this approach". However, I may as well give it a try again!

Could you please advise as to the code to use in the Document_Open event.

Thanks again.

LM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back