Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with an IDE Drive in an external case

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTT

MIS
Jan 14, 2005
IE
I have an IDE drive in an external case which is connected to my PC by USB, I have installed the drivers and when I turn the hard drive on, windows recognises it as a “mass storage device” but I can't access the drive in any way does anyone know why?
Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
JimmyTT

Has the drive been partitioned and formatted?
Are it's jumpers definately set to master?
XP SP1/SP2 doesn't need additional drivers
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Yes the Jumpers are set to master but it's not formatted because i can't access it

To format drive go to My Computer, Right click on the usb drive, click on format, select size you want for each partition, I recommend ntfs but other formats are available, do quick format for new drive, and then start format. If you want other partitions, then format the unused portion. Drive letters may be assignned as desired except don't change the drive c: because even though this can be changed the effort it takes and the hassle it will present are not worth the effort in most cases. Best of Luck

Thanks, but the drive doesn't appear in my computer or anywhere else.
When I turn the drive on, the computer recognises a new storage device in the taskbar but it doesn't appear anywhere else

Hook it up (alone - tempory) in the computer to partition and format. Use a Win 98 boot disk and format with no system. Once it's set up, put the computer back together. If you are using XP, you can then change to NTFS if you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back