Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with accessing all records

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkirros

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2004
I have an Access 2002 project linked into a SQL Server 2000 back end, with about 300,000 records in the main table. I have a "lookup" form in which users enter the ID number (the primary key in the main table). The procedure behind the form then accesses the table, finds the record (if it exists), and opens a new form with the selected record as current. The problem is that it only works with about the first 2,000 records - if the record is deeper in the table than that, the first record is returned. I've tried resetting the MaxRecords property everywhere it can be reset, with no change. I'm new to working with Access projects linked to SQL Server back ends, so I may be missing something obvious. Here's the code that gets the record -

Dim tb1 As ADODB.Recordset
Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
Dim ConnectStr As String
Set cn = CurrentProject.Connection

Set tb1 = New ADODB.Recordset
tb1.MaxRecords = 0
tb1.Open "Select ID,LastName1,FirstName1,Phone1 from " _ tblOrganizerInfo", cn
tb1.Find "ID = '" & txtID & "'"

Put this in your Select statement as a Where clause.

"ID = '" & txtID & "'"

The "FIND" is extremely inefficient and not necessary in this case.

I tried both of the suggestions. No luck.

tb1.Open "Select ID,LastName1,FirstName1,Phone1 from tblOrganizerInfo where ID = '" & txtID & "'", cn

What do you mean by " No luck" that leaves a lot of guessing as what may be happening.

instead of putting the statement in the Open, put it in a variable.

Dim mySQL as String
mySQL = "Select ID,LastName1,FirstName1,Phone1 from tblOrganizerInfo "ID = '" & txtID & "'"

Then do
Debug.Print mySQL
Then do
Control G to look at the String and make sure it is built as expected.

tb1.Open mySQL, cn, 3, 3

If not (tb1.BOF and tb1.EOF) then
Debug.Print "first field = " tb1(0)
else
Debug.Print "no recordset"
End If

Take the txtID out of the single quotes. Your where clause would otherwise be evaluated as "ID = 'txtID'". What you want is "ID = <value of txtID>"

Code:
tb1.Open "Select ID,LastName1,FirstName1,Phone1 from tblOrganizerInfo where ID = " & txtID, cn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back