Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with access to Office 97 files originally created on Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

suelew

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
US
I am having a problem opening Office 97 files that were originally defined from Office templates on a Novell 3.12 server. These files have been copied to a Windows NT 4.0 server. Now, if I attempt to open these files from Windows NT, I am prompted for the password to the Novell server for some reason and I then wait a very long time for the files to open. The volume on the Novell server is not mounted anymore. I tried copying the files from the NT server to my hard drive and then while disconnected from the network, I do NOT get the password message. BUT, once I connect to the network, I am prompted for the Novell password even if I open the file from the hard drive. Any insight out there would be greatly appreciated!

if u r using win95 or win98 client try renaming ur PWL file and see if problem still there

The system has Windows 2000 on it. Could not locate any .pwl file. Thanks for the post though.

This sounds like file and directory permissions. Check with your SA to see what type of permissions are on those directories and files. It may be as simple as needing to reset those back to public access.

Just a thought.

Good Luck

Yes, I thought it was a permission issue as well but the user has Full Control of all of the files. I also reset the permissions on all directories but it didn't help. I'm thinking now that it may have to do with spaces in the directories or names longer than 8 characters...??? (Novell may have issues with these)- I'm checking this out...still looking for any other suggestions though! Thanks.

I suggest recreating the user profile to see if the promptes change. Just rename the profile, shut down and restart; get the user to logon. The new profile will be created automatically. If that fixes it, then you would have to worry about importing favorites and my documents from the old profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back