Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem when sorting in Excel, and entire row dissapears!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vic102482

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2003
US
Hello,

One of my users is having a very strange problem in excel. There are 5 rows

Date Company City Membership# Fee

Now when she sorts by any row other than "Company" it works fine, the whole acsending descending etc.etc.

But when she sorts by "Company" ALL the names in the company row just vanish completly. They are all there and as soon as she hits the sort button they all go missing and nothing is sorted. You might as well have highlighted the row and hit the remove button.

Anyone ever heard of this before?

vic102482,

1) Surely you mean COLUMN -- when they sort on the COLUMN containing Company names...

2) Do you have ROWS that contain NO COMPANY NAME?

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at faq222-2244

Whoops yeah Im a buttface I meant coloums. I am not strong with excel at all.

But imagine you go to tools and then select sort, then it asks you ascending decisnging a - z or z - a.

Then you select sort by this colum and that is one of the named coloums is company name, then you click the sort button and boom all of them dissapear.

No data what so ever, but they are all there before the sort is performed.

Are you sure a column is missing?

Are you sure all the blank rows aren't sorted up front and the names a-z are below

Have you tried Format > Column > Unhide

I bet if you scroll down that you would see the company values. Looks like there are cells in the company column that are blank. These will be moved to the top when an ascending sort is performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back