Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem When Logging Onto Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

watosh

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
US
Hello,

I've set up a win2k server as a PDC. The setup apparently went OK, but here's the problem:

(Assume the domain is called "mydomain" and the client username is "imauser".)

When I log onto the domain from a XP (sp2) workstation, the workstation creates a user called imauser.mydomain and creates a new XP setup for that user, and assigns the rights given by ther server. This causes many problems for laptop users that sometimes will be disconnected from the server.

Username and password are pre-assigned by me in active directory on server.

Example:

User with workstation admin rights installs programs, etc. as "imauser" and populates their desktop with icons. User then logs onto domain "mydomain" and XP assigns new user as imauser.mydomain and logs them onto their workstation as imauser.mydomain, then the user can no longer access their programs or desktop icons and now has limited rights (can't install, delete, etc.). User unplugs data cable and logs in as imauser to the workstation and now he has all programs, rights, etc. since he is now logged into the imauser account and not imauser.mydomain.

Question:

How do I enable the user log onto "mydomain" as "imauser" without logging in as "imauser.mydomain"?

I apologize for the long and redundant description of the problem, but I'm trying to make the problem as clear as possible.

Thanks very much in advance.

The Watosh

If I understand your question correctly you do not really have an issue. When ever imauser trys to login when the domain is not available then their cached profile will load and they will see their desktop etc. as though they are logged into the domain. They just won't have access to network resources when not connected.
This is not a new problem especially for traveling/mobile workers.
Let me know if I am misunderstanding your question.

you actually have 2 accounts. Although they are the same name they are not the same according to windows.(You may find it easier to understand if they weren't the same name) What you need to do is log on as administrator and add the domain\imauser to the administrators group of the workstation. the user will show as domain\imauser in administrators group and not just imasuer. let them install the software as domain\imauser and if your happy to let them be admin of the workstation leave them in the group.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!

I'll be trying the suggestions on Monday.

Thanks again,

The Watosh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back