Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem when installing known good drivers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

euston

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
Windows XP Pro on one of my machines repeatedly asks for confirmation that drivers, which I know are of good provenance (e.g. from Microsoft and AVG), are OK to use. I tried setting Driver Signing Properties to 'Ignore' instead of 'Prompt' in Control Panel->System Properties but the change would not stick.

Is there a file somewhere that has become deleted or corrupted and has resulted in Windows querying all driver installations? It's a recently installed system and the installation process or subsequent use has betrayed no sign of causing this problem.

Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!

OK, on your machine, open RegEdit and navigate to the following Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing (and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Non-Driver Signing) and list what is written there?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thank you for responding BigBadBen.

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing' contains value names '(Default)' which has a value of '(value not set)' (type REG_SZ) and 'Policy' which has a value of 1 (type REG_BINARY). That is all.

'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Non-Driver Signing' is absent.

The same situation exists on another system which works properly in respect of the subject of this enquiry.

under that first key, change the value of POLICY by double clicking the key, and entering 00 and hit < DEL > once (to remove the 01), then exit regedit.

the second key leave it as it is, that one controls the drivers that are not signed, to be installed without asking for confirmation...

if this does not solve the issue, then by all means revert the change, and report back, I will then look for another solution (if possible)...

Ben

The 'Non-Driver Signing' registry was absent so I created it. I can now set Driver Signing Properties to 'Ignore' instead of 'Prompt' in Control Panel->System Properties and the change is persistent.

Unfortunately, the sledgehammer did a lot of damage to the computer case. [wink]

Windows XP Pro SP3, AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 2GB RAM, AVG free 2012, Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5.3, OpenDNS Premium, Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 3.0, BufferShield, Internet Explorer 8, Opera, Google Chrome, POPFile spam filter, DropMyRights, Amust 1-Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot - S&D

OK, I misread what you wanted... I had thought that you wanted SIGNED drivers to install quietly (as it seemed that they did not - from the way I read that)...

but seeing that you got there with the secondary information, then all is good...

;)

Ben

You read it right BigBadBen. What is puzzling me is that drivers from impeccable sources (such as Microsoft and AVG) seem not to be recognised as 'signed'. Still, the system runs OK.

Microsoft does the signing and firms like AVG pay Microsoft to do it. Isn't that the way it works?

Windows XP Pro SP3, AMD Athlon XP 3000+, 2GB RAM, AVG free 2012, Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5.3, OpenDNS Premium, Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 3.0, BufferShield, Internet Explorer 8, Opera, Google Chrome, POPFile spam filter, DropMyRights, Amust 1-Defender, Spyware Blaster, Spybot - S&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back