Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem w/XP using a Lexmark Z42 shared from 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

umlguy

Programmer
May 17, 2002
US
My home network mostly has 98SE machines for the family, while I have an XP Pro notebook. All the 98 machines can print to the shared Lexmark Z42 just fine, the XP can configure/setup the printer just fine but gets an "operation could not be completed" dialog when any printing is attempted, including the test page.

I can see the printer and all 98 computers just fine, I just can't print! Yes, I did load the XP driver on the XP machine and the 98 machine has the latest 98 driver.

See if you can get some help via the following links. Have you got the print spooler service running?

How to Troubleshoot Network Printing Problems in Windows XP (Q314073)

Cannot Print from a Portable Computer to a Shared Printer Connected to Windows 98 or Windows Me Server (Q307162)

"Operation Could Not Be Completed" Error Message When You Use the Add Printer Wizard(Q314876)

I have had the same problem,

Do this to get around it:
( I'm sure there are other ways to fix it too! )

in Windows XP machine run the Add Printer Wizard and install the printer locally on a dummy LPT port ( like LPT3 ) and then goto dos prompt and type:

NET USE LPT3: \\<Windows98>\<SharedName>

( Replace <Windows98> with your windows 98 computer name and <SharedName> with the shared printer name )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back