Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem w/W2K Profes. joining a 2000 Domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwilsn

Technical User
Apr 4, 2001
US
I'm having a problem with a 2000 Professional WKS joining a 2000 Active Directory domain, w/DHCP and DNS setup on a LAN.

This is a new domain with no other joined accounts.

The DC and WKS can ping each other with good replys, via TCP/IP and DNS. But when trying to join the domain with the username and password of the Domain's Administrator account, a reply is returned with a Network Identification notice, which states:

"The following error occured attempting to join the domain "Tomflex". The remote computer is not available.

Tried connecting a 2k Pro - Laptop WKS and received the same notice.

This problem appears to be isolated to the server. All known services and permissions were checked, but found nothing that resolves the issue.

I'd appreciate any helpful suggestions.

Ken

Can you Ping the server? Were these two part of someother domain? Workgroup? Answer these and I can tell you what to do next.

Yes. I can ping the server. These two are not part of another domain.

You have 2 boxes attached through a hub. One is setup as a domain controller, with active directory, DNS and DHCP.

The other is a 2k Prof. wks. that is setup to use DNS and DHCP. They can ping both with IP and DNS, but the wks cannot join the domain.

Now I have just found out that my Group Policy for Active Directory is not working.

I'm getting 2 repeating errors in the Application tab of Event Viewer. They are as follows:

-Event ID:1000 Source: Userenv
The group policy client-side extension security was passed flags [17] and returned a failure status code of [3].

-Event ID: 1001 Source: SceCli
Security policy cannot be propagated. Cannot acces the template. Error Code=3
\\tomflex.com\sysvol\tomflex.com\policies\{312F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\Machine\Microsoft\Windows

Also, if you right-click and select properties on the domaim icon in the Active Directy Users & Computers snapin, and select the Group Policy tab, a statement pops up with a selection box. The statement reads:

The domain controller for Group Policy Operations is not available.

I need help with figuring out how to activate the Group Policy.

Thanks.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back