Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem viewing text in IE using Western European & Unicode encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEM25

Vendor
Mar 7, 2004
AU
Problem viewing text in IE using Western European & Unicode encoding.

It all started when....
A few weeks ago I did a Korean friend a favour by installing a converter which should convert a certain type of file into one readable in Microsoft Word. It worked fine. However, since then I have not been able to view clearly certain fonts using internet explorer while in the Western European or Unicode encoding setting. Intead, I am forced to use one of the other encoding languages you can find through: VIEW - ENCODING - MORE

I also have a major problem viewing Help programs (ie. Word Help, Internet Explorer Help, Win200 Help) as the text also is pretty much unreadable. It basically looks like really tiny letters and some of it is impossible to read.

I can only assume from these problems that some kind of language decoders have been uninstalled, or something like that.

This is a major problem, and any help would be appreciated.

. Check Control Panel, Regional Settings, to make sure that you are still using the right code page.

. Under IE, Tools, Internet Options, General Tab, Languages, check the code page setting there.

I checked Regional Settings, but how can I tell if I am "still using the right code page?"

Also, what should I check on the code page setting in the Languages option?

Just make it English (United States).

To check the code page itself, select View, Encoding, and choose Auto Select.

hey i had this same problem and my settings were on English(Australia). I set it back to US, but that didn't help the issue. Then I went into View - Text Size and set it to smaller instead of smallest. That did the trick. Not sure if it was a combo of both, but it worked for internet explorer and for Windows help programs. I set the English(US) in both IE and Control Panel. goodluck!

Solution!

I went into View - Text Size and set it to smaller instead of smallest and this solved the problems completely.

Thanks 'triax'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back