Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem using user-defined function in query run with Execute method

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemeier

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2001
US
I have VB code behind a form that uses the Execute method to run a query:

db.Execute "qryAppendMovement"

Within that query I reference a user-defined function named GTIN2UPC that I wrote.

In one database the code executes perfectly. I put the form, the query and the function into a second database and now, every time I run the code I get an error:

Undefined function 'GTIN2UPC' in expression.

What am I missing?

[shadeshappy] Cruising the Information Superhighway at the speed of light
[sub] (your mileage may vary)[/sub]

Access to functions are in the local database only. You'll have to have the same function defined in your second database for it to work.

ImHuman,

I said in my post that I copied the function into the new database as well. That's why I'm perplexed. I even checked all VB library references to make sure they were the same.

So if you open an immediate window in VBA and just prod your function from there it works ok? Is it declared as a public function in the second db? Is it in a module or in the codde of a form? Just chucking some ideas around here....

JB

If I open the query that uses the function and run it, it works just fine. If I use Docmd.OpenQuery it works just fine. If I use DoCmd.RunSQL followed by the SQL code it works fine. Just using it with the .Execute method fails.

I know .Execute has some limitations that the others don't -- especially regarding VBA -- but it's working in another database!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back