Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem using proftpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

foucaulo

ISP
Oct 20, 2004
CA
Each time i install a new port it doesn't work... there is a little thing which makes doesn't work
my proftpd.conf file:
ServerName "My ftp server"
ServerType standalone
DefaultServer on
Port 21
Umask 022
MaxInstances 30
User nobody
Group nogroup
DefaultRoot ~
<Directory />
AllowOverwrite on
</Directory>

<Anonymous ~ftp>
User ftp
Group ftp
UserAlias anonymous ftp
MaxClients 10
</Anonymous>

when i'm connectiong on my server it say:
421 Service not available, remote server ahs closed connection.
i don't know for what it's don't working

Are you sure it's running? Try `ps ax | grep proftpd` to see.

If so, check to see if the ftp port (21) is open with nmap (/usr/ports/net/nmap).

If so, make sure you're actually being routed to the server with `traceroute [myservername]`. It should give the complete route from you to the server without a bunch of *'s.

If so, check your ipchains in /etc/hosts.allow to make sure the computer you're connecting from is allowed to connect.

you are right!!
my service isn't running but i don't know why...
i do the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sh proftpd.sh start
and any error occur, so what can i do for resolve that problem??

Check if there's a log file in /var/log -- I'm not running proftpd, so I don't know what it would be called, but it's usually pretty obvious. May want to `man proftpd` and see if there's a 'verbose option' to get it to tell you where it's dying.

If you can't find the log, you might want to build nmap and see if the port is being held open by something else -- inetd may be running the 'standard' ftp server. Actually, before building nmap, check to see if the ftp line in /etc/inetd.conf is commented out. And then `ps ax | grep ftp` just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back