Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem using htmldoc to generate pdf from html (linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smonet

Programmer
Jan 22, 2002
US
I use htmldoc to generate pdf from html that is generated by a cgi code on a linux/apache platform - mainly tables in a report. I am facing a strange problem with some of the reports - the data in a column start sliding as the rows increase. To illustrate :
City
atlanta
atlanta
atlanta
atlanta

This does not happen consistently (though it repeats for that particular data set). I am not able to correlate this to the number of rows or to the amount of data in the table.
Any suggestions/solutions will be highly appreciated.
steve

Hi,

I've used htmldoc in a similar setup (html is generated by a perl/cgi script, then converted to PDF by htmldoc) although this was on a Win2k/IIS platform.

I haven't seen the sort of problem you describe though. Perhaps you could post a link to a dummy HTML report produced by your script, and its associated PDF, I could take a look.

Dave

Thanks for the offer.
I don't have an externally accessible link resource with me right now but I will try to set one up this evening.
s

dave,
meanwhile i came across a bugfix in the htmldoc documentation.
this bug appears to have been fixed in the 1.8.15 release - we had the 1.8.12.
updating to the latest version seems to have fixed the problem.
meanwhile an observation for anyone trawling this post - even the latest version of htmldoc will not accept ™ for the trademark symbol in the html. you can fix it by modifying the lib file and recompiling.
s

I wanted to ask about the performance of htmldoc on the server.

We are considering using htmldoc to dynamically generate PDF documents. Has anyone found any problems with using it on the server and it robust enough for this?

Thanks, BSeattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back