Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem using external modem with 355AF!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tac2637

Technical User
Sep 22, 2004
CA
Tried following the instruction on the book but can't dial-in thru the external modem. I used a 355AF adapter with the other end going to the admin port. The line side of the modem goes to an extension port.Tried connecting direct as well but it didn't work.Of course I got the R7.0 processor.Any idea guys???

I just realized this is probably a Partner system. I was just on the Merlin forum so I had Legend on the brain.

You can connect the external modem to a Partner station port, program the port for intercom first on line selection, then dial 76 to access the Partner's modem. The silver backup card must be installed for the modem to be available.

Brian Cox

Brian, I think what he is doing is connecting from the RS-232 port on the R7 processor to a 355 adapter to a modem, and then connecting the modem to a station port. This would be in lieu of having a silver backup card with internal modem (since the R7's also have internal flash memory for backup without any backup/restore card inserted)

So, I'd guess that the modem has to be set to auto answer, connected to a station port that is programmed for no ring, and a way to transfer to it, from the auto attendant with a transfer-only mailbox if it is messaging, or manually transferred by a phone user.

It's 5x9, with no dedicated paging port. Paging is done through a line port, designated through programming. It can be ANY line port on the system, not just on the ACS itself. If you need the paging contact closure however, you MUST use CO-5.

There is a serial port to use the remote access software directly connected through a 355 adapter. The PCMCIA backup/restore card does not come with it. There is internal flash memory for backup/restore, OR, you can use a silver backup/restore card with its internal modem for remote access. You then also choose to have the backups happen on the silver card's memory instead of the internal memory.

There is a LAN port, that so far is undocumented. Still have the contact closure port and MOH input.

Think that about covers it!

Thanks guys.I think I'll try your suggestion TTT with the auto attendant/ auto answer. Then I'll let you know guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back