Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem updating to Exchange SP3

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolf52

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2002
US
I downloaded the new exchange sp3 and when I try to run the update.exe i get this error

A proble has been encourntered while loading the setup components. Canceling setup.

I have Win2k SP3 installed with all the hotfixes but it crashes everytime. I have re downloaded the exchange sp3 several times and keep getting the same error.

Anyone else having this problem?

The most likley cause of this is permissions failure with the account running the upgrade. I have however seen this on a machine without ample space on the System partition.

Verify that you are updating the Service Pack as an Exchange Full Admin and Domain Admin in the AD Domain. If you're running multiple AD Domains, you may need to be logged in as an Ent Admin account. Either way, permissions are the most likely cause of upgrades or installs when it comes to Exchange 2000. You could also verify that you have ample space on the directory where the service pack is extracting and running from.

I ahve tried it with 2 different user accounts. Both have full admin privilidges, and the drive has 27 gig of free space so I dont think that is the case either.

Might it have something to do with the Exchange Information Store service not starting?

BTW this is the front end OWA server we are trying to upgrade

Thanks in advance

Does Exchange SP3 also "verify" itself like W2kSp3? Maybe checking that your E2kSp3 file is not corrupted, might help...

im not sure how to verify ExSP3, but I did redownload it several times over several days with the same results

You can simply check any version of E2K sp level by checking the version of STORE.EXE. BTW, I would check the Exchange setup log on the root of C:. This has alot of great information and error codes that are easily searched on google and technet.

I checked the Ex Log and here is what was listed

************** Beginning Setup run **************
[13:02:56] Starting Exchange 6249 setup on Windows 2000 5.0.2195.Service Pack 3 at 13:02:56 12/02/2002
[13:02:56] ScIsNTWorkstation (y:\admin\src\udog\excommon\ptudutil.cxx:1048)
Error code 0XC0070842 (2114): The Server service is not started.
[13:02:56] HrLoadAndInitToolsManager (y:\admin\src\udog\bo\bofactory.cxx:338)
Error code 0X8000FFFF (65535): An unexpected error occurred.
[13:02:56] CComBOIFacesFactory::CreateInstance (y:\admin\src\udog\bo\bofactory.cxx:152)
The operation has completed successfully.
[13:02:56] CComBOIFacesFactory::QueryInterface (y:\admin\src\udog\bo\bofactory.cxx:54)
Error code 0X80004002 (16386): No interface.
[13:02:56] CComBOIFacesFactory::QueryInterface (y:\admin\src\udog\bo\bofactory.cxx:54)
Error code 0X80004002 (16386): No interface.

I havent been able to find a solution to any of these errors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Based off of this limited information I would look at
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q284850. There could be an issue with the Netlogon service. There are several other articles that reference the 2114 error. The specific error code yielded nothing specific. I hope this helps!!

Ok, so that KB article listed above is what you definately shouldnt do if you are experienceing this problem.

Basically spent all last nite trying to get the server to talk to the Exchange box again. As of this morning we are working around the OWA server and allowing Exchange traffic to pass thru the firewall.

So to recap, changing the registery setting for services is a bad idea all the way around.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway, maybe this thread will help someone else out later

Q284850.... The bottom line is the E2K server will not talk to the DC. If this is true then this one of many articles that may apply. I would also look at the physical environment.

(1)Is the E2K server seperated from the DC by a switch. If so is the port on the switch hard set with the spanning tree protocol disabled? This is a known issue with E2K DSA with several Q articles on the subject.

(2) Have you run a dcdiag /v /f:<filename> and a netdiag /debug > directory on the DC. I would also run a netdiag on the E2K member server. If the E2K server is a DC please make sure replication is occuring correctly and check all of your DNS settings.

(3) With E2K sp2 there is a DSA diagnostics tab that was added within the properties of the specific server in the ESM. I would turn on diagnostic logging to MAX and then. Look at the Application Log.

(4) Are all of the E2K services started at boot or do have to manually start them. If so then refer to #1.

Good luck!!

SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, Event Viewer may record the following Netlogon errors:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 2114
Description: The Server service is not started.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7024
Description: The Net Logon service terminated with service-specific error 2114.

Event Viewer may also log Event ID 1004 and Event ID 4312. Because the Netlogon service does not start, you may be unable to access some network resources.
CAUSE
This behavior can occur when the dependent services of the Netlogon service have been changed in the registry and are not configured correctly.
RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Select the DependOnService value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/

On the Edit menu, click Multi String, and type the following on separate lines in the Multi-String Editor that appears:

LanmanServer
LanmanWorkstation

and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back