Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Updating Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty906

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
HK
maybe somebody could shed some light on my problem. I'm trying to update a table based on values from a linked text file. however it's giving me an error message saying that "Updating data in a linked table is not supported by this ISAM" but the table i'm updating is a local Access table, so i'm quite puzzled by the error message. the exact sql is this:

UPDATE tblOPS_AddressList INNER JOIN tblDDB_AcctInfo ON tblOPS_AddressList.KNumber = tblDDB_AcctInfo.Acct_Num
SET tblDDB_AcctInfo_Officer_Code = [tblOPS_AddressList].[A/O]

tblOPS_AddressList is the linked text file while tblDDB_AcctInfo is a local Access file. thanks in advance.

jeff

Hi

A guess - linked text files are not updatable, you are trying to update a record set based on a join with such a table, - suspect this renders the recordset not updatable

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK

ken,

thanks for the quick reply. that's why i figured too but i was hoping that it was something fixable.

jeff

Hi
Well I suppose it is fixable, in that you could (for example) write code to achieve the update without actually joining the two tables.

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
UK

Ken,

yeah i wrote a loop which basically updated the table x amount of times. not very efficient, but i couldn't think of a way to write a sql statement which would do the update.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back