Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem trying to reinstall XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmillward

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
OK, I am having a mare with my PC.
I have an Athlon Xp 2000, on a gigabyte GA7VTXE+.
1 Gig DDR 2100, ATI 8500 AGP, Soundblaster 5.1 Live, Intel pro 100S lan card.
40 Gig HD, Cd Rom,CD Burner and DVD player.

I've been having trouble playing EA Sports games, F1 2002 and FIFA 2003, play ok for a few mins then it would freeze up, only way out is to reboot.
SO I thought may as well reformat it and try a clean install.
This is when my OTHER problems began.
Since yesterday I have tried formatting and installing 7 times.
The furthest I've got without it crashing is 2 mins to go.

OK.
I've tried removeing all PCI card except AGP. Changed out the memory.
Tried another Video Card.
Still no good.
Now it won't even copy all the files before it even installs, just keep freezing.

So is it likely to be motherboard or Hard Drive?
I've got the most upto date bios and Via drivers installed.

Or would it be best to replace the motherboard and Hard drive?
Any ideas on this would help me a great deal!!!

Thanks

Is that a SCSI or IDE Hard Drive?

For kicks (since you seem willing to put the time in) have you tried installing an old version of windows, or a Linux distro to see if you can't run some utilities to check your hardware out?

Also, doesn't the XP disk have the ability to run some diagnostics for you? Maybe you could repartation your harddrive and blow away your MBR before trying again.

Just guessing.

-Rob

Which cd drive are you trying to install from? Sounds like a conflict somewhere that is not allowing the file transfer to complete. Try switching or removing all but one drive to complete the install. Had this problem once before and it turned out to be a bad cd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back