Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem to restore MS-SQL 2000 databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranyhere

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
BR
I'm trying to use ARCserve 2k with SP5 on Windows 2k with SP4 to restore SQL Server 2k databases moving them to another physical file, but when I open Backup Agent Restore Options window, the Restore Database File As option doesn't list database files.

What can I do to resolve this problem?

You got me guessing.

If the DB Agent was used to backup it must be used to restore.

If it was not used to backup then SQL server has to be shut down at the time of the backup, and I have no idea if you can just take those files to another system and it will work.

DB Agent was used to backup SQL Server databases, and can be used to restore such databases sucessfully with the same name, the problem occurs when I try to restore SQL databases with different database name, so Restore Database As option in Backup Agent Restore Options window don't show me physical name (.mdf/.ldf) of database files and I can't rename them.

Any idea about workaround this problem?

I have some notes on this that I got from a friend, they are in faq478-4748. If they don't work let me know.

To restore the database to a new location should be done using a full database backup session. It would be easiest to use the restore by session screen.

If you are not seeing the data and log files listed in the backup agent options dialog for the full backup session then the ARCserve database does not contain the file information.

You should make sure that the tape is merged into the database (and don't let prune remove it if the sessions are old). You can also check the temp directory to make sure that there are no CAT files there.

You can also check for the file names for that session in the db manager.

David,

I try to do a restore to an alternate database following instructions in FAQ478-4748:

Step 1 was executed

1. select the database in the restore screen, right click select DB agent options.

But when I try to execute Step 2

2. under the section "restore database files as:" select each object and change the name of the files so that the prefix to the file name reflects the name of the new database that you want ARCserve to have created

No object was listed, and I can't change the file names.

If you don't see the files then they are not in the ARCserve database. That indicates that the tape was not merged correctly or the records were pruned. See my previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back