Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem: The network path was not found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

msnerd

Technical User
Jul 31, 2004
US
Hi. I've networked the following two pcs through a Netgear WGT624 router:

desktop:Gigabyte motherboard with onboard Intel Pro/1000 CT nic
Intel P4, 3.2 GHz
Windows XP Pro

notebook:Dell Inspiron 7000
Intel P2, 400MHz (a bit slow running XP, but stable and everything works)
Windows XP Pro
Netgear wireless PC card to wireless router

Problem: I can access the shared files on the notebook from the desktop, but when I try to access the shared files on the desktop from the notebook I get the following error message:

file is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
The network path was not found.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mort

. File and Printer sharing enabled on the desktop
. Netbios over TCP/IP set in Internet Options - TCP/IP, Properties, Advanced, WINS tab on both
. Exception made for Netbios traffic through any firewall, including an exception for File and Printer sharing.

Troubleshooter:

Firewalls disabled on both pcs.
Netbios is enabled on both pcs.
File and printer sharing is enabled on both pcs.
Laptop is running WinXP SP1 and desktop is running WinXP SP2.

Other than this problem both machines talk fine including remote desktop and Remote Administrator. The laptop sees directories on the desktop (including changes to sharing), but when I try to access a directory on the desktop I get the following error message:

\\desktop\directory is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Thanks again for any help.

Mort

bcastner, thanks so much. Yes, that solved the problem. I often see your responses to many people and I just want to say thanks for helping so many people.

The best to you,
Mort

You are very welcome. Glad to see you have the issue sorted.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back