Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem that requires a fast answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelmuffinman32

Technical User
Jul 13, 2006
US
Hi guys! New to the forums in case you haven't noticed and I'm in need of some help. I installed Windows XP Pro on my desktop computer and ignored the thirty day activation time. Only to find out that Windows will not let me log in without activating. I need the stuff on the hard drive of the desltop computer. I lost the windows xp key, called Microsoft and they said since the disk I used to install Pro on the desktop was from another computer, they couldn't give me the key. I need to activate this or at least temporarily activate it to back up my shi.....stuff that is on the hard drive. Thanks for the help in advance!

-Alex

Hook the drive up as a slave in another computer and then you can access your hard drive data, but you will probably have to format to put Windows back on.

I may be wrong but you had to put the key in to load the software. One of mine did that and I clicked to activate it.

It then gives you the choice to activate over the net or by phone. Click net is you are hooked up to the net and it will either activate or tell you it can't.

If it can't tell it you want telephone and it will ask where you are to give you a toll free number to call. Call the number and follow the prompts. It will ask for the install kepp that the machine has placed on the screen. Unless you have been tring to activate this copy alot of times over the past few weeks it will verify the install and give you a code to activate with. VERY SIMPLE PROCESS.

Now if there is a problem don't be afraid it will take you to a tek who will help you activate. We have quite a few computers with xp pro and from time to time they crash out or I am rebuilding them and have the same problems but I have never had a problem with Microsoft. , Go for it !

I've managed to boot from a second hard drive from anotehr computer usin Windows 98. After installing the drivers, I turned off the computer and put in the unactivated xp pro drive as the slave but it doesn't show up. How do I add a second drive on 98?

-Alex

Was the XP drive formatted as NTFS?

If so, then Win98 won't be able to see it. It is only compatible with FAT16/FAT32.

If that's not it, then make sure the slave drive is using the middle connector on the IDE cable. Also make sure it's showing up in the BIOS when you first turn the computer on.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Probably was formatted as NTFS, I can't remember. So I have to hook it up to another comp. with xp?

-Alex

Hey,

That would be your best bet, a machine with XP or 2000.

Make sure you move the jumper on the drive from Single or master to slave or cable select and put it on the middle jumper on the IDE. Don't forget to look for it as the bios boots.

Get the files that you want off, format the drive and re-install xp.

Goodluck,

Brett.

Have a look at what BartPE offers you.

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

You could put your drive back into your machine and see if you can access your files from Safe Mode. You will need a place to save them to from Safe Mode such as an USB external or thumb drive, not too sure about an external drive but they can be written to a thumb drive from Safe Mode.

There is a copy command in the Recovery Console but that will be limited too.

Some say you can get in via Safe Mode, in times gone by I know you could, maybe things have changed recently, it is not something I can check easily myself, but I would appreciate some confirmation or non-confirmation as to whether it is still possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back