Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem: Substitute font is apparently not the default font

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayUSA

Technical User
Jan 28, 2004
MX
Hello,

I inherited an InDesign document that uses a sans-serif font that I do not own. When I open the document, InDesign tells me that "the default font will be substituted for the missing font." If I click Okay, it opens the document and substitutes another sans-serif font for the original sans-serif font that I am missing.

Now, here's the puzzling part: as far as I can tell, my default font is Times New Roman (and not a sans serif font). For example, if open InDesign without any documents open, Times Nes Roman is pre-selected in the the text control bar.

So, then... what sans-serif font is InDesign using as a substitue font in my document? I've spent hours trying to find the perfect match.

Help, please!

Jay

Missing fonts for which others have been substituted will appear at the top of the Type > Font menu in a section marked “Missing Fonts.” By default, text formatted with missing fonts appears in pink highlighting.

If you select text that uses a missing font, the Control palette or Character palette indicates that this font is missing by displaying it in brackets in the font style pop-up menu.

The substitute font indesign will use is often nothing like the original one it is replacing.

Under 'type > find font' what font is it listing as missing?

Andrew

...on my computer indesign replaces missing fonts with Myriad...

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much for your reply.

In my inherited document, I am missing Dax Bold, Dax Light and Dax Medium. InDesign CS2 is replacing these missing fonts with an acceptably nice sans-serif font.... but I can't figure out what font it is using! If I open Type > Find Font... it lists the missing fonts, and then in the lower part of the dialog box it says "Replace With:", and the first font listed is Times New Roman. But it is very, very obvious that it is not replacing the missing Dax fonts with Times New Roman! It's repalcing those fonts with a sans-serif font -- but which font? And which size?

Any further thoughts?

...if you export a test page to pdf ignore all font missing warnings, look at file > document properties in acrobat and it should list what font it has actually embedded that is how I know mine is myriad...

Andrew

Great! I'm leaving my office now, but I'll try that tonight!!

...it may also list another font (helvetica) this is normally used for slug lines (document name, date, time etc) if you export it with reg marks included...

Andrew

Andrew,

Thank you! Without you, I never, ever, ever would have discovered what font InDesign was using for my document. And, yes, it was Myriad Pro Regular!

Thanks again so much!!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back