Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem starting the Server service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahel

Programmer
Feb 16, 2000
GB
I have a fresh copy of NT4 Server installed on Pentium III 450MHz machine,with 128MB RAM, 2048GB NTFS partition and service pack 3,4 installed. The graphics card (ATI) and NIC card were successfully recognised. I can see the network successfully, however, I can not get the new NT Server machine to appear on the Network Neighbourhood. Also when I try to start the Server services, the following error message appears :<br><br>&quot;Not enough server storage is available to process this command.&quot;<br><br>Does anyone know how to overcome this problem or what could be preventing it from being started?<br><br>I need this Service running to enable me to install SQL Server 7.0 successfully.<br><br>I would be greatful for any ideas?

Take a look at registry key:<br><br>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE<br>\SYSTEM<br>\CurrentControlSet<br>\Services<br>\LanmanServer<br>\Parameters<br><br>Check the value of IRPStackSize parameter (if it's not present - add it as REG_DWORD.<br><br>Set it at 6 (decimal) and move gradually to 12 checking if you can start Server service after reboot on a new settings - leave it at the smallest possible value.<br><br>Regards!

Were the MS Service Packs installed prior to your networking components? If so, you will need to reapply the service pack. This is caused by SRV.SYS not being updated.<br><br><br><br>dxd<br><br><br>

hi voland,<br><br>Can you pls help me to know what will happend when you make such changes to the registry. just for my knowledge.<br><br>rgds<br>sunil varma

Just reapply SP4 (or later if you have it). <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

IRPStackSize parameter stands for Input/Output Request Packet Stack Size and related to something on the level of communication between device drivers and I/O Manager part of Windows NT kernel - I'm sure a Win32 programmer can give you a better understanding of that.<br><br>The issue here is that this parameter is used by the server for administration of the shared drives; however, it is also used by some of the applications - Norton Antivirus in particular. The low level of the parameter will cause certain errors, one of them &quot;not enough server storage&quot;. Also, if the parameter is not even listed - it's taken by default as decimal 4;<br><br>I should also agree with &quot;dxd&quot; - that error can be caused by installation of some apps after SP3 is loaded, which causes some of the files to be overwritten.<br><br><br>Regards!

Reapplying service packs has always fixed it for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back