Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem starting Photoshop 7 in windows xp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

roykinn7

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
US
Well I'm having problems with my photoshop software. Well, I installed the program from adobe disks on to my Windows Me system a month back. I upgraded to WIndows XP and now when I try to start photoshop 7 it comes up with a small error saying "the handle is invalid". So I uninstalled the program and reinstalled and got the same message. The program wont even appear, it just gives me the error. Is this a problem with Windows XP that I can fix? thanks everyone-

Roy

I have Win XP Pro and PS 7 at home. I have never had any problems.

You may have to try the install/uninstall process again. This time when it says the un- is successful, check the details for items that un- couldn't remove and remove those also.

If the PS7 you have is an upgrade from 6, you might also have to work the same process with it (PS6) to get rid of all the debris left behind.

I have the same problem with Photoshop 7.01 on Windows XP--it won't start and I get a "handle is invalid" message. First I tried reinstalling Photoshop, that didn't help; then uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same problem. Can't find anything on the Adobe site. Did the first person solve this problem? I just upgraded to XP from
Win2K, which worked fine.

Thanks,
Larry

I also have a similar problem under similar circumstances. Switched from win98 to XP, re-installed PS7 and it did not work. However, my error message simply said, "Parameter is incorrect"

Any thoughts?

try this

On start up of PS hold down shift, control and alt.

You get the option to over wright the options files for ps

let me know if this works

Manic
-----------------------------
I've broken it again !!
-----------------------------
lee.gale@virgin.net

Hrm. I haven't gotten that particular error, but my PS 7 stalls whenever it gets to reading the TWAIN devices while the program is loading. If I unplug my scanner and plug it back in, it continues on its merry way. Check to be sure that your device drivers for anything PS might access (twain scanners, cameras, printers) are up to date for XP. My scanner is too old for them to bother writing updated drivers for, so it's persnickety, but I was able to work around it. Might want to try loading up the program with any peripheral devices turned off to check and see if they are interfereing in any way.

I had a similar problem. It turned out that Photoshop was looking for a printer that was no longer connected. Maybe try and reset your default printer.

I am having the same problem trying to install Version 6 to XP. I had 98 on my other computer and had no problem with the install. Now it says my serial number is invalid. I've had the same problem with three other programs. I can't get to any of my programs on my new computer. What's the point? Help!!

Cat >^..^<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back