Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem sharing Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairyspider

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
GB
I have a problem with my memory, and everytime i start up my laptop, my C drive and D drive automatically share themselves onto the local network.
Is there someway to stop them sharing themselves?
Is the problem related to the fct that i have memory problems?
What is the easiest way around this problem?

Hairyspider

right click the shared drive, left click sharing and check do not share this drive... you can also remove file and printer sharing from network properties in control panel

I do that, but when i start up my laptop the next time, it is shared again.it gets a bit boring having to unshare it every time i boot up.
thanks anyway

Is this local network a workgroup or domain? You haven't got any logon scripts running (like sharing the drives?)

What memory problems? (memory problems can cause a host of apparent software bugs).

Are there any other aspects of windows which are not saved if changed? (eg, desktop picture/icons?)

The memory problem i have is that it just keeps dissapearing. I am linked up to my school's network which is a domain, and i have done several Dr NOrtons to see if i had any viruses, which i didn't.
I thought that the problem was that i had so little memory that my C drive shared itself to put some memory on the network, but im not sure.
Hairyspider

When you say memory - do you mean RAM or Hard Drive space? What do you mean by keeps disappearing?

Have you checked whether you have logon scripts running or not? (as per my prevuious post).

If you're on a domain - have you asked your Network Administrator (presumably somebody looks after the network) about your problem?

It is my hard Drive space. at one poit i will have e.g 500 mb then after 2 minutes doing work, it goes down to 300mb. How do i check if i have logon scripts running?
The administrators think that i have a virus, but they havent really helped out much.
hairyspider

1. How is your swapfile managed - the default is to let Windows manage it - so it can shrink and grow depending on your use of the machine - by hundreds of MB. When you have limited space (which with 500MB you have by today's standards) this can have a large impact. You can set it to be fixed size (max and min same value) and/or put it on another drive/partition if one is available.

2. Virus - surely you've run a scan by now? Or gone to one of the online sites, like Trend's Housecall to have it checked out. AVG is a very good free anti-virus app (if you need one & haven't been supplied one).

3. Logon scripts. Your network administrators can tell you if there are any running on your machine/user. When windows is starting do you see any dos boxes flashing on and off on the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back