Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Setting up Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ar1

MIS
Apr 29, 2002
US
I have an eight port switch, which I want to use to set up ICS b/t my labtop (client) and the desktop (host), which has a DSL conncetion.

The DSL connection is an internal modem with an RJ-11. The ISP, bellsouth.net, uses PPOE/Ethernet. The labtop has an ethernet card. Both machines are running Win 2000 Professional.

I spent over three hours last night with Microsoft techs playing with the IP, DHCP's you name it and got no where. We couldn't even get the nodes to recognize each other. I am going to go ahead and use a one port router if no one has another soloution for this. Please advise

Your set up with the switch should work fine. I suggest you get the 2 computers hooked up to the switch first so they can ping each other. Use static addresses (192.168.0.2) for the client and (192.168.0.1) for the host and ignor the DHCP for now. When they can ping each other then turn on ICS on the host DSL connection. If the host is able to browse then the client should also be able to browse.

From your question I understand that you want to share files and poissibly printers between your two computers. Here is what you have to do:
0. Make sure that you are using proper network cables. You need straight-through cables to connect both of your computers to the switch.
1. Make sure that both computers belong to the same WORKGROUP. ( MYHOMENETWORK or anything you want - but the same in both)This will allow you to see both computers in the browse list (my network ..).
2. Plug your DSL attached computer in and make sure you can connect to the internet.
3. Go to the properties of your laptop's modem (DSL attached device) and SHARE it FOR THE NETWORK CARD that is in the same computer (RJ-45 port on your laptop). Check the box that says enable on-demand dialing. After you do that your laptop becomes a DHCP server for the second node on your network.
4. Configure the properties of your second computer's network adapter to obtain DHCP address. After that from the command prompt type IPCONFIG /release and press enter.
Than after confirmation that all (or the one that you have configured as a DHCP capable) are released type IPCONFIG /renew and press enrter. You should see a new IP address in effect of 192.168.0.xxx. If all that was successful you should be able to get to the internet from your second computer, and share files and printers.

From your question I understand that you want to share files and poissibly printers between your two computers. Here is what you have to do:
0. Make sure that you are using proper network cables. You need straight-through cables to connect both of your computers to the switch.
1. Make sure that both computers belong to the same WORKGROUP . ( MYHOMENETWORK or anything you want - but the same in both)This will allow you to see both computers in the browse list (network neiboughrhood)if you share a folder or printer off of each computer.
2. Plug your DSL attached computer in and make sure you can connect to the internet.
3. Go to the properties of your laptop's modem (DSL attached device) and SHARE it FOR THE NETWORK CARD that is in the same computer (RJ-45 port on your laptop). After you do that your laptop becomes a DHCP server your network. Check the box that says enable on-demand dialing.
4. Configure properties of your second computer's network adapter to obtain DHCP address. After that from the command prompt type IPCONFIG /release and press enter.
Than after confirmation that all (or the one that you have configured as a DHCP capable) are released type IPCONFIG /renew and press enrter. You should see a new IP address in effect of 192.168.0.xxx. If all that was successful you should be able to get to the internet from your second computer, and share files and printers.
I don't particularly like PPPoE, but it can be advantageous in a sense that you can utilize the same line to send and receive faxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back