Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem setting up IE5x under win95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougpeplow

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
FR
I'm trying to install IE5.x on an old laptop running early version of win95. I have the dial-up network connected OK, the modem works and signs-on to my ISP, but when I run ie501steup.exe or ie5setup.exe, the message I get after the first initialisation dialog is "setup was unable to download the required components.......please try later".
I have tried several times with the same result,whether connected to the internet or not. I guess the 'setup'isn't recognisng the dial-up connection
Can anyone suggest a solution pls?
rgds
DougPeplow

Instead of doing the install over the dial up have you tried instead downloading the whole installation from another PC and then burn the files to a CD or put it on a network share (assuming there is a network). You can then try to run the installation from there.

If interested when running the setup program select CUSTOM and then ADVANCED and select Download Only. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Guys - thanks -I tried the installation from another PC, using a zip drive to transfer - the files all went across OK, but still got the same message - I'll have a try at downloading ie3 overnight, but after that I think its time to move up a version of windows -thanks for your interest and advice
Rgds
DougPeplow

I can only think of one other item and it may be a long shot. Uou may have an incompatible urlmon.dll and wininet.dll file in the system directory. Try renaming the files extension and then try rerunning the setup.

Otherwise I would also go with the OS upgrade. joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Thanks Again - I got the IE3 and installed it OK!!! but the browser page has a 'hole' in it (you can see through to the 'desktop') and I can't get the URL/ address bar to respond to typed URLs - will try joegz's suggestion next
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back