Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem sending to a certain mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hungster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2001
CA
i am running EX 5.5 and everything works perfectly till today, all of a certain, my mail server can not send e-mail to a my isp's mail server
it gives me this message
'me@you.com' on 5/31/2002 3:57 PM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is c=US;a= ..............

i tried everything from restart service under win2k/ex 5.5 and even reboot didn't help, i can recieve from my isp perfectly fine, but i just can't send to them
it works going to other isp, includes hotmail and yahoo

they kept telling me that it is my ex 5.5 problem
it looks to me that their mail server screwed up or somewhere along the line it was dropped, i use their dns server, dns under cmd works fine, telnet are fine to port 110 and 25

Please help

Nope, not there, i tested a few time already

after searching around, i was told that it is ISP's routing table that got mugged up

Hung

i Finally got it fixed

it is at the ISP end, the filtering and the reverse lookup dns on the mail server didn't resolve my mail server's ip

Hung

Thanks Hungster

I'm having the same problem with a customer of mine. Found out there WAS an open relay and they were black listed. Funny thing is that the administrator email acct works fine while one of the user's emails sometimes gets bounced back, sometimes goes through or is never received by the recipient. But like I said...the administrator acct works fine. I will check with their ISP on the reverse lookup today.

MrTude

np MrTude

my ISP 's system guy solve the problem on their e-mail server, or you can try to use the telnet cmd to narrow downt the problem

Hung

I have just spent 2 months of troubleshooting this problem after yoyo.net (uu.net) screwed up our dns addresses . The usual name servers located in Europe are not
allowed for US domains . You will be able to tracert and telnet but certain mails will
not resolve . It took a microsoft tech $$$$$ to review the log files and advise .
This is a long shot but it corrected a real puzzling problem here . Beware of UU

M.L.

Most ISP are the same, they do not like to listen to you, cuz they think they are the best, therefore if you talk to the right person willing to listen to your problem and help you out, then you are miles ahead

my isp is some what link up to UUnet as well
same here, if i telnet to a certain their mail server, it works fine, but funny thing is we use their dns server and we can't send mail to them, but i can receive

problem fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back