Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem Sending mail to a certain domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpatel4

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem we are having sending mail to a certain domain. We can send the mail externally from an excite account and a yahoo mail account, but for some reason we cannot send mail to this domain from our work email. I added the IP address for where I think we are receiving the mail on IMS connections. The domain is db.com and this is deutshe bank. We are able to receive mail from them, but not send mail. This is the error I get:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: EDIFACT-PAYMUL
Sent: 2002-09-20 22:49

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

tony.ado@db.com on 2002-09-22 22:50
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Gateway Systems,;l=MAIL-020920204907Z-24
MSEXCH:IMS:Gateway Systems, Inc.:GATEWAY:MAIL
3499 (000B09AA) network error during host resolution

This is an email that we received from them:

-----Original Message-----
From: Barbara Weil [SMTP:barbara.weil@db.com] <mailto:[SMTP:barbara.weil@db.com]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 8:43 AM
To: Hsia, Shirley (Shirley)
Cc: Darrell Ambro; Tony Ado; Peter Zinn; MaryAnn Rydel;
Costandina Vassiliou; Jay Curtis; Dominick DellaPenna;
Wayne Francis; Florencio Pantaleon; ‘Holmgren @ DEUBAINT;
Kerstin’; Dennis Wilson
Subject: Antwort: DB meeting at 11:00 am on 10/3

Hi Shirley,

since tomorrow is a german holiday neither PEter nor me will be in the office :-(( But Jan Lübke is in and he said, that he is able to attend the phone conference.
I forwarded your mail to him. If you want to mail him here is the mail address :
mailto:jan.luebke@db.com
Kind regards
Barbara Weil
-------------------------------------------
Deutsche Bank AG
CIB - CTI/GTO-Processing Systems
Global EDI Systems
mailto:barbara.weil@db.com

from your exchange server, are you able to telnet to their mail server on port 25?

How do I do that? I'm not even sure that I added the right domain to IMS connections because I'm not sure how to look up their mail server's IP address.

go to a command prompt on your exchange server and run :

telnet smtp5.uk.deuba.com 25

(by the way, smtp5.uk.deuba.com is one of the DB domain mail servers)

See if you get a greeting message from that server.

I was unable to connect. I got the error:

Connection Failed:
Host Name: smtp5.uk.deuba.com

can you ping smtp5.uk.deuba.com by name? If not, you definitely need to check DNS...

I can't ping from my machine or from the server. I get timed out.

OK. so ping by IP now... 160.83.34.38
Make sure you can hit that.
Now, how is your DNS set up? On your exchange server's network properties, what DNS servers are you using for Primary and Secondary?

Our PDC and Secondary is 192.168.2.10

So you're pointing to an internal DNS server that forwards out to an ISP or just the internet for external resolution? If an ISP, I would contact them and ask if they made any DNS changes recently...
You were able to ping that IP and you don't have any problems emailing other domains, correct?

I was not able to ping the IP but we have no problems sending mail to anyone else.

that's OK, they're probably blocking some ICMP. If your DNS setup is as I proposed, and you haven't made any changes internally, I would definitely check with your ISP.

Thank you so much for your help!

Maybe try adding their IP address range to your routing tables, if you have them.

Alright I have spoken to our ISP for several days now. They can send mail from our managed router. we also added dns servers. Now I can telnet from port 25, but I still cannot ping, and I still cannot send mail. I can ping one of their other mail servers now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back