Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem saving word document 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmkman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2005
US
When in Word, whether a new document or previously saved document, when I click save Word tells me that it cannot save because it is open elsewhere. Unless Word is creating a duplicate document each time it is not open elsewhere. I have opened a saved document, change a couple words and then clicked save and even if it is the only document open it will give me that message. I then click OK and it tries to append the extension. Then it asks me if I want to replace the existing file and I say replace. After all this, the file ends up being saved but this is not normal. This also happens when the "autosave function" tries to save the document every 10 minutes.

We are on a network with the current version of Word. The files are not shared nor does anyone but the admin have access to them and he is not accessing them at the time.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

This used to be a problem under Windows NT when it got confused and thought that there were two users on the machine instead of one. I found that if I rebooted the machine the problem disappeared for a while.

You did not say whether it was just a current problem or whether it has occurred over a period.

Peter Moran

Also, has any of these fil;es been opened from an attachment?

Gerry

Thanks for your response. This problem just started occurring for two people. About two months ago it happened to someone else and it was resolved by deleting and then creating a new account for her on the network. I have tried that approach to these two people but it has not worked. The machines have been rebooted also but to no avail. Also, in resonse to fumei, they are not attachments. I have in fact created a new document and saved it. I have then reopened that document, made a change and at that point attempted to save it. At that time I would get the error that it is already opened and cannot be saved.

I appreciate your ideas and hope you have a few more. This is very frustrating.

Bill

Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I haven't been around since then to reply.

This is a recurring problem with ONLY 1 of the Teachers. Even when they have created a NEW document, save it, and then reopen it and make a change then they SAVE it again and get that message. This happens EVERY time on ALL documents. I have reinstalled Office. I have in fact issued a new computer with a new version of Office on it. Updated Office and it still happens.

My thought is that it somehow is connected with the user account but when I issue a new one, it is still following her around.

It is usually because there is a locking file stuck open in Windows. When you open a file, Windows created a locking file to stop other users trying to open it.

The locking file will be on the server if opened from there or in the local user's temp folder if it is just a local file.

If the user has been using copy/paste functions, there will also be temp files in the temp folder created in the copy/paste process. These too should delete when the document and/or WOrd is closed. But note that Outlook may need closing too.

The users needs full access rights to that folder (including delete), or it won't work.

I'd start by going to the user's temp folder and when all applications are closed (just after a reboot), the temp folder should be empty. If it isn't empty, delete all its contents. ALso get the server Admin to to check the server when everyone is logged off. Make sure that there are no user locking files abandoned.

Regards: tf1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back