Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem savepnpc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotlab

Technical User
Dec 24, 2002
FR
Dec 19 06:58:03 tempserv02 syslog: * tempsrv11.ecl.potxxx.fr:C:\ savepnpc: C:\WINN
\JETA.tmp: cannot open (The process cannot access the file becauseit is being u
ed by another process.)
I don't understand this message
Can you Help me ?
Thanks

Savepnpc was originally designed to allow you to run commands before and after backups. A good example of this is if you had to shutdown a database before backing it up cold, then restaring after backups were completed.

When savepnpc is invoked, it creates a temporary lock file in the backup client's nsr\tmp directory to prevent the same savegroup (and therefore the same pre and post savepnpc commands) from running more than once at any given time.

However people, such as you I believe, have used it to backup up a client with saveset=all. What happens in this case is that savefs determines how many savesets are to be backed up for a client (such as c:\, d:\, system state:, system files:, system db:), and then invoves a savepnpc for each saveset. The savepnpc pre and post commands are invoked for *each* saveset as a result.

For the first saveset processed, the lock file will be created. However, for the subsequent savesets, the lock file will exist, thus generating the error message. Then it will not continue backing up the particular saveset.

You can verify this by changing the saveset from All to just c:\ (for testing), then see if the problem reoccurs.
Before running the backup test, go to the backup client, stop NetWorker with: net stop nsrexecd, delete the nsr\tmp directory, then restart NetWorker with: net start nsrexecd. Once this is done, then try the backup test.

Legato does have patches that resolves this problem. Call them if you are interesed, or look at NetWorker 6.1.3's release notes to see if the patch is in that release.

NetWorker 6.1.3 is probably the best version of the V6.1.x series, so I would upgrade to this version anyway. Remember to upgrade the bacup server and storage nodes before upgrading the backup clients.

Good luck, and happy holidays.

Hmm, I thought savepnpc will only call the pre and post command once. Save will call any command listed in the "save command" resource field for each save set, but savepnpc doesn't do that.

What it will do is run the pre-scripts first, then issue a save command for whatever save sets you have listed (and as of version 6.1.1, if you use all, it will start up multiple streams at that point).

For the error message you're getting, I would find out what service uses that file, and stop that service first, or find out if that file can be excluded from the backup. Alot of log files and temporary files can be exluded with no harm to the server if you need to restore.

There is a know bug in savepnpc on 6.1.3 . There is a fix for it on Sun Solaris and HP at this point. I am working with Legato to port the fix to other clients because we need them also.

hotfix for LGTpa43071 for Solaris and HPUX.

If the group call's and ask's for the ports I think we'll get faster repoonse, than if it's only me asking. Ed Skolnik
The Interpublic Group Of Companies, Inc.
GIS Chicago System Administrator
Chicago, Illinois 60611

eskolnik, Legato told you the solution for this bug ??? I have the same problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back