Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem running query from front-end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssatech

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
IE
We recently upgraded our back-end from Access 97 to SQL server 2000. But still have Access 97 as front-end. We run a report called "Trial Balance". But one of the query behind this report generates an error: "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]GROUP BY expressions must refer to column names in the select list.(#164)"

The query reads like this:

INSERT INTO [Collate TB by TX and TX] ( CompanyID, Name, SumOfTX, SumOfEuroTX, TransTypeID )
SELECT DISTINCTROW Receipts.CompanyID, Companies.Name, Sum(Receipts.Amount) AS SumOfAmount, Sum(Receipts.EuroAmount) AS SumOfEuroAmount, "10 Receipts" AS TransTypeID
FROM Companies INNER JOIN (Customers INNER JOIN (Banks INNER JOIN Receipts ON Banks.BankID = Receipts.BankID) ON Customers.CustomerID = Receipts.CustomerID) ON Companies.CompanyID = Receipts.CompanyID
WHERE (((Receipts.ReceiptDate) Between [Forms]![Reports]![StartDate] And [Forms]![Reports]![EndDate]))
GROUP BY Receipts.CompanyID, Companies.Name, "10 Receipts";

I am not expert in writing queries or SQL, but could someone show me where the error is being generated? or what the problem might be? Thanks.

I think you should write something like this first:

FROM Companies INNER JOIN Customers
ON Customers.CustomerID = Companies.CompanyID
INNER JOIN Banks
ON Banks.BankID = Companies.BankID
INNER JOIN Receipts
Companies.CompanyID
ON BANK.BankID= Receipts.BankID

WHen you use an agregate function like sum, then all the other columns in the selct must be in a group by clause of your SQL statement. Look in Books online for group by to see the syntax.

I think it just doesn't like the "10 Receipts" constant in the group clause. Shouldn't need it anyways? Try deleting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back