Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem running old NT/9x app on 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth1978

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
GB
I am trying to run a program called Magic 8 on a Windows 2000 pro workstation. Not being very sucessfull. If I install and try to run as a domain admin it's fine but as a normal user it won't work - it's basically denying access to the registry. I've read the 2000 help tope "The role of application in Group Policy precedence" and to be honest though it looked like it should be useful I'm not further forward. Have tried Magic software the program makers but no joy. Basically need to know if there is some settings I can change to make it as it is on NT workstations where normal domain users can run the app on the workstation or...........do I have to bring the machine back in and rebuild it installing NT ? Luckily only a small handful of our machines need to have Magic on it and mine (but I'm a domain admin so it doesn't count) and this other have 2k on.

Any advice as always much apreciated.

Gareth

Is the run as different user option any use (tick box on properties sheet of shortcut to program). Or the compatibility option (last tab on said proprties sheet - option for NT4 SP5 compatibility).

I have found with 9x software that the Power Users group usually has the proper permissions to run the program. I think the description of that group talks about this.

The Clueless

Thank you all !!! As suggested adding the domain user account to the power users group on the local machine solved the problem.

Thanks once again

Gareth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back