Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem running exe from asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardnl

Programmer
Apr 12, 2001
US
I'm having a problem running an exe from asp. The exe is part of a project that I am working, but I did not develop it. My code is:
dim wshell, command

set wshell = server.CreateObject("wscript.shell")

command = "c:\demo.exe"

wshell.Run command

set wshell = nothing

My problem is that when I execute the code the process shows up in the task manager, but I can't see it (on the server). I would prefer that the executable be opened on the server instead of running without opening a window. I also can't end the process. Any ideas? I really appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Nick

The process is running in the IUSR_xxxxx context, not the logged-on user. As such, it's not allowed to interact with the desktop.

If you need to see what's happening in the .exe, you need to get the guy who wrote it to write debug messages to the NT event log. Or load his development environment on the server (usually unacceptable).

Chip H.

Thanks for the help. Does that mean that I can't run the exe? I know there are no problems with the exe, because I can run it on my machine with no problems by double clicking on it. I know there is an option to allow services to interact with the desktop. If I change that will it work? Or are there any other options for me to run the exe using a different method? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I'm really at a loss here and if I don't get this done very soon there are going to be some upset people, so I really appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thanks,
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back