Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem restoring to different location

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechEd23

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I am running three server's all running windows 2000 server. Server 1 which has arcserve 2000 advanced on and a tape drive. Server 2 which has and oracle 8i database on and a arserve oracle backup agent. Server 3 has a standby database on and oracle backup agent.

Server 3 went a bit doolayee this morning and I had to reinstall windows. As a result I am going to have to rebuild the oracle database. I also have to restore from hot backup a copy of the live database.

I seem to be having an amazing amount of dificulty with restoring from tape from server 1 to server 3.

The errors I am getting are:

E3150 Unable to connect to network drive. (DRIVE=\\server 3\admin$, EC=LOGON FAILURE)

and

E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=\\server 3 \dbaora7@SID, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (85) "invalid user ID or password was submitted."

I have three main user names and passwords, I have tried all three but to no avail. I have tried restore to different locations and editing the TemporaryRestoreDictionary. I have made sure that the rpc service login is the sames as server 2 and a member of ora_dba.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could try next?

As I am out of ideas.

TIA

Eddy

First, make sure that ADMIN$ is available on the server.

In your job you specify machine and agent (Oracle) credentials. The username you specify for the machine should be an administrator (or be a part of the local administrator group) on that machine. The account you specify should be system (for 8i and older use internal).

If that is all okay then it is probably failing to connect with Oracle server itself because it is trying to authenticate the service. SYSTEM doesn't have rights to Oracle data. So, what you need to do is change the Backup RPC service to run as an account that is a member of the ORA_DBA NT group. Restart the service afterwards.

Hi ACiDelic,

thanks for such a quick reply.

I have tried all of the above but still seem to be stuck on the correct username and for the 'server 3\Oracle Service - SID'.

E8601 Failed to connect agent. (AGENT=\\server 3 \dbaora7@SID, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (85) "invalid user ID or password was submitted."

The backup agents log on server 3 show this:

10/07/2004 12:29:27 Connect Oracle Backup Agent
10/07/2004 12:29:27 Invalid user ID or password was submitted.
10/07/2004 12:29:27 Disconnect Oracle Backup Agent

So it seems to be connecting but I am just not putting in the right userid and passsword.

Now I have been through the backup scheduled backup job:

Drive = username&password1 (this has administrator rights)
Folder = username&password2 (this has folder and local rights)
computer = username&password2
Oracle = username&password3 (this has oracle system rights)

For the 'server 3\Oracle Service - SID' username and password I have tried all three username and passwords. I have also tried:

domain\username&password3
server 3\username&password3
domain\server 3\username&password3

But non of these seem to work.

Any idea what my next move should be?

The server 3 is on a different machine than you backup server correct? Then you still need to change the Backup Agent RPC Service on the Oracle server to run as a local user account instead of SYSTEM. Otherwise, the backups will continue to fail. You shoulc have (or create) an account, preverably a local administrator account and make sure it is a member of ORA_DBA. Change the service to run as this account and restart it. Run your backups using system and this problem should go away.

It is failing because the service is running as LOCAL SYSTEM, which is not a real acocunt that Oracle can give access to.

Hi there ACiDelic,

Thanks for your last post. I have acturally got it working now.

I deleted and then recreated the oracle sid on server 3 and gave it a new internal password. I then reinstalled ARcserver oracle backup on server 3 making sure that it used the internal username and password.

I then ran the job using the new internal username and password and it worked.

Not quite as stressless as I would have liked but at least it is working.

I am now writing a procedure to make sure I do not get stuck on this 8 months from now.

Thanks again for all your help

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back