Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem restarting Windows 98se in MSDOS mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobfromshokan

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
US
I would like to restart (or start) my PC in MSDOS mode, I'm running under Windows 98 se. The way I've done this in the past - on older machines - was to hit Start-Shut Down-Restart in MS DOS mode and I would end up at the C:\Windows prompt after having loaded the drivers for audio, CDROM and the mouse.

From what I understand the above action uses the C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT file to accomplish this. I have gone into that file and put in (what I thought) were the correct drivers for the CDROM, audio and mouse but none of what I put in worked, following is what I had in the DOSSTART.BAT file:

C:\windows\system\mmsound.drv
C:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /d:mscd000 /e /s /v /m:15
C:\windows\system\msmouse.vxd

I did try putting in LH before the CDROM and mouse drivers but that didn't make any difference.

I got the driver information from SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER information.

Is the problem possibly that I'm using Windows drivers and I need MSDOS drivers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

Probably. Your disk that came with the sound card usually has DOS drivers with it. You may have to browse to find it.
I would start the computer in DOS (repeatedly tap the F8 key, or hold the CTRL key to get the menu), and install CD-ROM drivers, and then the DOS sound drivers.
Sometimes you can do it, by installing the DOS drivers by running "setup.exe" from the DOS folder on the CD in a Windows DOS box. This will put drivers in the dosstart.bat file, otherwise they'll go into the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.
You can easily edit them out of there, and paste them into dosstart.bat
Might I ask why you want DOS sound and mouse drivers? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

may be useful
ctload (alternatively as link says, you can put entry in your config.sys file. Or you could create a customised shortcut - with its own config.sys & autoexec.bat that reboots to dos and loads drivers required) available here - (link from other page doesn't work)
As comtech says - you'll probably need to load dos version of sound driver to autoexec.bat - can't just include a reference to windows driver.

There's a dos mouse driver here - (think there may be one on 98 CD, but its been a long time, can't remember where).

Anything that would normally load in autoexec.bat, you can take out, and put in dosstart.bat for "restart in DOS mode". Or leave it in autoexec.bat as well, and then have drivers available in both true DOS, and DOS mode.
I like the idea wolluf posted about making your own shortcut. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thanks for the responses, I'll try your suggestions.

As far as why I need DOS sound and mouse drivers, I subscribe to a game forum and someone there was having a problem getting their sound working on an old DOS game that was released in 1996 - which I happen to have - so I thought I'd try to help with the problem but before I could tell them exactly how to get the game to work I wanted to get it to work on my PC first.

Robert

I was able to add the mouse and audio drivers (haven't been able to test to see if the sound works yet) but I haven't been able to load the driver for the CDROM. I downloaded the MSCDEX.EXE file but when I double clicked the file it opened a DOS windows and a message said:

MSCDEX VERSION 2.95 ALREADY STARTED

Sorry to be dense, but how do I install the DOS CDROM driver and what is the correct format in the DOSSTART.BAT file?

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

To get the CDROM driver to work, you will either need to put an entry in your config.sys file (this should be ok - windows will normally ignore it if no corresponding entry in autoexec.bat - and still load 32-bit drivers for windows) or use that ctload program I mentioned in the dosstart (as per the experts-exchange link) - because CDROM drivers need entries in both config.sys & autoexec.bat normally (not just autoexec.bat, which dosstart.bat is effectively replacing). I presume ctload just emulates what entry in config.sys does.

I found a web site that had a DOS driver for my CD ROM drive (actually it's a comination CD R/W/DVD drive by Toshiba.) It was file called atapi.exe and after I installed it according to the instructions it appeared to install a DOS driver for the CD ROM but I couldn't get access to the drive. The last line on the instructions claimed the drive should be recognized and will be assigned the next logical drive letter after your drive(s).

I had tried the CTLOAD.COM prior to the above, from the site you recommended but was unable to get it to work. The instructions were to add the following lines to the DOSSTART.BAT file:

C:\[PATH]\CTLOAD C:\{PATH}\{CDROM DRIVER] /{DRIVER PARAMETERS}
e.g. "c:\ctload c:\sb16\drv\sbide.sys /D:MSCD001 /P:1E8,11"
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

I wasn't quite sure what data to put in to all the fields. I figured the PATH should be where the ctload file was; in my case C:\DOSCTLOAD but I'm not sure about the rest.

Thanks for any help, again.

Robert

I did use the CTLOAD program but I want to try another method of loading the DOS driver for the CD ROM but I don't know how to uninstall the CTLOAD program that was loaded. I know that at least two folders were created on my C drive: DEV\TAISTAP.SYS and BIN\MSCDEX.EXE but I don't know if removing those folders would get rid of the CTLOAD program.

Thanks,

Robert

If you just remove the line with ctload in dosstart.bat, that should do it.

I put the following in the config.sys file:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /L:%CDROM%

And the following in the autoexec.bat file:

CHDIR C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:%CDROM%

Now during boot up I can see the CD ROM information just before going to the desktop. When I put this same information in the DOSSTART.BAT file I get errors and also when I 'Restart in MS-DOS Mode' I end up at the C:\windows directory but nothing I have in the DOSSTART.BAT file gets executed; it's as if the DOSSTART.BAT file is not being executed during the MS-DOS restart. Is that possible? And if so, how do I get the DOSSTART.BAT file to be executed for an MS-DOS restart?

I do have valid DOS sound and mouse drivers in the DOSSTART.BAT file and they work when I run the DOSSTART.BAT file after booting to the C:\windows directory - 'restart in MS-DOS mode.'

I guess what I'm asking are two things:

1. Should I be able to have the DOSSTART.BAT file executed when restarting in MS-DOS mode? If yes, how?

2. Should the code I have for the CD ROM DOS drivers work in the DOSSTART.BAT file, if not - what do I need.

Thanks,

Robert

3. If they're going to reboot anyway, consider telling the user to make a bootdisk. I was a gamer back in the DOS days, and depending on the game, he might have to ensure a very lean DOS lower memory block (the 640k). There are web sites that have pre-made DOS bootdisks so this may be the quickest way.

Also, for DOS compatibility your sound card should set the "BLASTER" environment variable. Something like "SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1" for memory address 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1. Your system settings may (will) vary. Soundblaster (regular, pro, 16) was the only sound standard for DOS gaming. --
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Robert,

Same problem - the line

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001 /L:%CDROM%

only works in config.sys - no good in dosstart.bat (which is what ctload is trying to circumvent).

If you leave that line in your config.sys file & don't put the matching entry

MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:%CDROM%

in autoexec.bat, I think your normal windows CD operation will not be affected. Then leave just the second entry in dosstart.bat (as config.sys has loaded the first entry, I think this should now work when you reboot to dos).

Give that a try and post back results. Other possibility if no good is a custom reboot to dos shortcut where you specify a 'local' autoexec.bat & config.sys just for that shortcut.

I'm still unable to get the CD ROM drive recognized in DOS. Also, when I try to start a game in DOS I get a 'not enough memory' message.

Exactly how would I accomplish what was said in the previous note:

'Other possibility if no good is a custom reboot to dos shortcut where you specify a 'local' autoexec.bat & config.sys just for that shortcut.'

I did locate the 'exit to dos' file in the c:\windows directory. Under the 'Program' tab was this:

cmd line: c:\windows\command.com

And under the 'Advanced' tab was:

MS-DOS Mode (was checked)
Specify a new MS-DOS configuration (was selected)

Unless I misunderstand how the 'exit to dos' operation works, it looks like it isn't using the DOSSTART.BAT file.

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Been a long time since I've played with these settings!

I was suggesting creating your own 'exit to dos' shortcut - but if I remember rightly the one you've found will be used by windows when you use 'Restart in Ms-dos mode'. So, you were just about there. With 'Specify a new MS-DOS configuration' ticked there should be 2 boxes - one for custom config.sys, the other for custom autoexec.bat. Just paste the entries you wantto enable CD, mosue & sound support in these 2 boxes. When windows reboots to dos mode it should use those entries ratherthan the 'normal' config.sys & autoexec.bat. If it doesn't, just double click on 'exit to dos' and it should work (put copy on desktop).

PS. As I said its been a long time - not sure if you need other entries that are loaded automatically for windows. But try it and see.

Remember not to violate the "8.3" file-naming convention when you set up drivers (and other stuff) for real-mode DOS (Restart in MS-DOS mode). Directory names are limited to 8 letters max, file names are limited to 8 letters max with a 3 letter max extension.

For example: C:\CTLOAD\ is valid. C:\DOSCTLOAD\ is not (9 letters for a directory name); DOS would recognize the name of this folder as C:\DOSCTL~1\. Even though a DOS Shell within Windows would recognize it in quotes (e.g. "C:\DOSCTLOAD\"), real-mode DOS does not have long filename support, even in Windows 98 se.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back