Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem resolving server name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noip

IS-IT--Management
Apr 25, 2002
MU
Hi all,

I have a win2k server box doing NAT with ISA2k installed. When I make a ping from my win95 clients to the server netbios name, I get reply from the external NIC of the server. From my win2k pro boxes, I get reply from the internal NIC. They are all using the same gateway/subnet. When I ping the IP of the internal NIC from my win95 clients, its ok. I have added the IP of the server seperated by the 'tab' key with the server name in hosts.sam in c:\windows but nothings have changed.

There are no WINS/DNS on my network.

I really have to solve this issue.
Any (really any!) suggestion welcome.

Thanks.

Sorry I forget:

Win98 clients do behave like win2k Pro when resolving the server name.

hosts.sam you say...

For the best of my knowledge there is yet another file for static host configuration.

On Win2k it is in winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

I know that Win98 has also a file called hosts in a drivers directory.. maybe this solves the problem.

You could also install a WINS server on your 2K box, and let the Win98 boxes use this WINS server to resolve hosts.

Well, "hosts.sam" should be renamed in "hosts".
Sam=sample, and they are showing you what is the syntax to use it.
And, btw, you cannot ping server netbios name. Ping is a tool just for IP. Better saying is you were pinging the server host name. Sometimes, host name and netbios name could be different (if you want). Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Thanks Randy and Gia,

I am going to rename the hosts.sam into hosts and if doesn't work I'm going to promote the server with WINS. I will let you know for the results...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back