Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem relogging in 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanzg

Programmer
Apr 6, 2006
US
If I leave my PC for a while and the screen saver has come on, I can not log back into my system. Also some users who do not have log in requirements suddenly get them.(When you click on the Id instead of going into the system you get a password prompt) This is "fixed" if I reboot the PC. This also happens if after reboot you leave the PC with no log in for a while.

For the first problem I dont quite know what you mean.
What happens to make you not log back in? Does the screen grow arms and punch you in the face, does it ask for a non-existant password, does it grow a mouth and say "Not gonna happen, buddy" or does it just not give you a logon screen?
Little more info please.

As to the second thing: Just leave the passwords blank and hit Enter. It should just accept that they dont have a password and log them in.

Another thing you could do is turn off the screensaver password. That would be the easy thing to do.
Right click on the desktop->Properties
Go to the screensaver tab.
Click Settings and make it not ask you for a password on resume.
Then go to the power settings and make it never go to standby which is on the same Screen Saver tab.

Thanks, I am sorry I was not clear. When I click on my userid I get a password prompt, but the system does not accept the correct password. Even for users who do not have passwords the system asks for a password and the blank password does not work. This just started happening yesterday.

Delete the user profiles, but save their favorites and desktop first, as well as their My Documents if you leave them in the Documents and Settings folder (which is a terrible idea).

Well, do this with one of them first, a test obviously.

Delete their user account on the local box (Documents and settings), have them log in, then put the desktop, favorites, and documents back in the new profile.
See if it happens again.

Alternatively:
Make a new test user, brand spankin new. Dont change anything.
Does it happen with that user?

I've had this happen to users of mine. If you system is on a network you should readd the machine to the network.

I had a user that would work on his sytem and when he logged off or went into lock mode it would not accept his pwd.

Right click My Computer, Properties, Computer name, and network. Readd him and it should work.

If your not on the network, then i'd log on as admin, rename the profile, have the users logon (creating a new profile) and transfer the vital info back. This way it keeps his old data safe for a while.

Are you using some third party Screensaver, it may have become corrupted and need re-installing?

Have you tried System Restore to go back to the day before?

Has any Network Administrator changed any Group Policy?

You guys have been great, but I still have the problem. I tried creating a new user and I tried a systm restore and niether worked. One thing that didn't happen the first day (or somehow I didnt notice it) when I try the soon to be unsucessful log in I get an error window with the message:
"The system could not log you on. The server authenticating you reported an error (0xC00000BB). you can find further details in the event log. Please report this error to the system administrator."
One more thing I seem to have discovered some spyware/malware on my system: Svcost, NvCpl, & emdniolg. These were in my system startup and I cann't seem to get rid of them. I am also going to go to my spyware checker Counterspy and see if they have anything on these items. Thanks again please keep trying.

Clean your machine of all malware and hopefully you will fix your problems.

Unnecessary Event ID 537 Entries in the Security Log

You receive "The system could not log you on" error message when you use a smart card to log on to a Windows XP Professional-based computer

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido"

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Thanks for the help I finally had to reload the OS and everything now works. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back