Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem registering IP Softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalkett

Programmer
Mar 9, 2005
CA
We've got a BCM 1000 running 2.5 software. I've got a key code entered for 1 IP client but when I go to the IP telephony tab/general to turn on "Registration" it automatically turns off immediately. How do you get it to stay on?
The softphone is an i2004 and it finds the server but says "registration is off".

this problem is caused by a setting in your browser. pop ups are blocked. fix that and the bcm will accept your change.

I have had the same problem with a faulty BCM.It was a 2.5 BCM 1000 too.

Marshall

I can not remember how I fixed the problem but what I do remember was it was not a pop up blocker.

I can't remember how I fixed my problem on 1 of my 50+ BCM's, but I know it wasn't a Popup blocker as I use the same computer on all sites. I'll think about it and see if I can remember what I did.

Any help would be great. It is not a pop up blocker problem.
Thanks anyway.

it is a security setting in the network!! it may be in the browser security or the lan itself but it is a security setting! i have many customers that say the same thing all of you are saying and all i have to do is hook up with my laptop and click the box and what do you know! it works! since they insist it isn't a network problem and won't even try to find the problem they call in a trouble ticket on the bcm. when i prove it isn't the bcm by fixing it with my laptop it becomes a billable ticket @ $110.00 per hour with a 2 hour minimum. they usually wish they would have at least looked..............

Okay there... I would check the software revision with Nortel. Did you download the softphone client from the actual BCM you are trying to connect too? What is the software version of the i2050?

Well I don't think it is a security problem in this case as I've tried my laptop as well as my desktop plus another workstation with the same results. I've also lowered the security level with no sucess.
TheAvayaGuy, The issue at this point isn't even the i2050 client as I can't even enable registration on the BCM server.
Any other ideas? If you still think it is a secuity issue what do I need to change/enable?

Thanks,

Can you confirm the unstim server is running. I think the problem I had was a hard drive problem. I tried to upgrade to 3.6 and the system need to be intialised and reloaded.I could not stop or start the service.

Marshall

Everytime I changed the reg to on it switched off straight away sounds like the same problem to me.

I think you mean the unistim terminal proxy server or UTPS service? Yes it is currently running and set to automatic.

Thanks anyway.

Do you have both LAN ports connected to the LAN? Doubtful, I know, but I'm bound to find you an answer.

Do you have the Published IP address set right? I think that was my problem. My network was hooked up to LAN 2 and my published IP address was set to LAN 1. Click on IP Telephony tab and it should tell what your LAN is set for.

I thought of that too, but that doesn't explain why he can't turn on the REGISTRATION - so I don't think that is it.

Yes I have both LAN ports connected to the LAN. One is set to 192.168.1.220 and the other is 10.10.10.1. The Cisco router is configured to access both internally. The soft client is able to access the server I just can't enable registration. I also can't enable Auto Assign a DN. Once I se it they just revert back to off.

Okay well I finally got my answer from Nortel Tech support. It turns out to be an issue with Java. You have to be using Microsoft Virtual Machine not Sun Java. This is a bit of an issue considering that MS got Sued by Sun and no longer distributes MSVM. I would have thought Nortel should have released a patch for the BCM server since 2.5 is not end of life yet.
I did find an old copy of MSVM and installed it and all is well now.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Yes they did no problem. I first used build 293 as that was the latest recommended for the BCM 2.5.
I've since installed build 385 and all sees fine. The reason was the USB headset we had had keys on the base and they needed build 343 or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back