Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem reconnecting to domain for standalone pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobnz

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
NZ
Hi I have a win 2k server + home network; one of the local machines running win2k pro is used a lot as a standalone pc but is also able to connect to the domain. However after it has been used as standalone for a while it will not reconnect to domain, gets as far as applying computer settings and just sits there (doesn't hang) rebooting doesn't fix the problem. Disconnecting from the network ie. unplugging network cable and plugging it back in solves the problem. This pc has 3 ide drives configured as raid 0 would this have any affect,
Once the pc has connected to the domain I can switch between standalone and domain connection without a problem. The problem only occurs after server has been switched off and restarted.
Other pc's running xp dont have this problem.

TIA

B

Have you tried doing an ipconfig /all and see what's going on before you try and join the domain again? Once you plug the nic back in, it almost sounds like it starts sending out broadcasts which then allows the problem to be fixed. Maybe before you try and join the domain again, make sure the server is on, do an ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew just for jollies. (Is the client machine in question getting ip from dhcp on server?)

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

Thanks for the reply, I have been doing what you suggested its the only way to get internet access.

Once the server is switched off I have to a release/renew before I can access the web. and when the server is on I have to do release/renew before I can join the domain.

pc's are set to obtain an IP address automatically, the server is dhcp and dns.

The router is set not act as dhcp.

Im not sure if this would help you at all. I had this problem once.. I had to log on the to local machine, disconnect from the domain, shut the computer off. Remove the computer name from active directory. Start the computer and log back on as a local admin. Rejoin to the domain and everything seem to work ok since then

Before you release/renew, how about an ipconfig /all? I'd be curious to see what the machine was doing beforhand. Good luck.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
Don't forget to shop @ theTek-Tips Store

thanks for the replies, I have solved the problem. In TCP/IP properties I set the primary dns to the server and the alternate to the router. Now I have internet without having to do the renew/release and can join the domain when the server is up without a problem.

Thanks again for the replies.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back