Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem rebooting nortel switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

confus9d

Technical User
Jul 11, 2007
US
Hello,

I have a nortel 470-24T-PWR - 24port poe switch. From time to time I see packet loss when i do an extended ping to the switch. So far i've been able to fix this just by resetting the switch. but when it comes to reset, i need to keep trying 4 or more times to get the switch not to drop any ping. Could someone shed any light why the switch keeps dropping packets and i need 4 or more resets to get it working? Thanks.

Let me be the first, but certainly not the last to just warn you that your pinging the management interface of the switch. It wouldn't be a surprise to drop a few ICMP packets here and there if you have a really really busy switch (1000Mbps uplinks with > 20% utilization).

I think your chasing a ghost. Is there an end device, connected to the ES470 that you can ping, do you see packet loss to that device? What is the utilization of your switch ports like? You can use Device Manager to get a quick understanding of how busy your switch ports are.

What version of software are you running?

I have noticed running v3.6.4.x software that the management of the switch will occasionally get "stuck" after > 200 days of uptime. It usually requires a cold boot of the switch since the management interface is unreachable via telnet and SNMP commands don't respond.

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply. I'm running FW:3.6.0.6 SW:v3.6.2.04. The switch had virtually no utilization and i saw more than 50% packet loss during my test. as i mentioned earlier, usually the issue is fixed after resetting it for 3 or more times. one thing that stands out is longer uptime. I don't recall exactly how often it happens, but it is possible i see this issue occuring every couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back