Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem reading backuptape out of another drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

janneman

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
Hello,

My problem:
I am building a NTdomain for testing migration from exchange 5.5 to 2000. Therefore I have a compaq server in the testdomain with a compaq 20/40 GB DLT unit. Arcserve 6.61 adv. + exchange agent are installed on that server.

Formating a new DLT-tape in the testserver is no problem. When I put the formatted tape in the DLT-drive of the server in the real NT-domain, there is no problem backing up the real Mailserver (NT4sp6a and exchange 5.5sp3).

But when I'm putting the backuptape back in the testserver it fails to initialize. In arcserve the DeviceManager keeps saying "No Media in Drive!". The tapedrive also makes a strange crunching sound every 2 minutes. It seems to me the drive is not able to load the tape properly. I tried to overrule density from 20 GB to 20 GB compressed with a button on the drvie, but that is no help.

My question:
What is the problem?

That crunching sound happens when the drive is trying to determine density of the tape. Sounds like your test live domain's don't have the same model drives. (EG: DLT4000 vs DLT7000).

Are both the drives the same make and model? It could be a block size issue. After your prodution enviroment writes to the tape the test enviroment drive may be looking for a different block size on the media. If you backup to your test drive can your production drive read that?

Hé, me dumb guy.

That is the problem. The test drive is a 20/40 GB and the live drive is a 35/70 GB. I don't wear glasses, but meaby i should from now on. Thanks for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back