Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem PRINTING with Windows Printers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkerman

Programmer
Oct 11, 2002
AU
I'm a self-taught Clipper 5.01 user.
I had no problems printing to DOS compatible printer on LPT1.
However my program won't print on other PC's that don't have a DOS compatible printer on LPT1.

I currently use the following:
set device to print
set print on
mLINE=0
@mLINE,0 say "etc, etc"
mLINE-mLINE+1
@mLINE,0 say "etc,etc"
set device to scren
set print off

I need to use the maximum 80 characters width.
I have tested creating a "TextFile" but when I use
"notepad/p [textfile], but this won't print 80 characters width, and I can't change left & right margins in Clipper.

Can Someone PLEASE help??
What is the best and easiest way to change my program so I can use it on any Computer with any Windows printer, that isn't DOS compatible.
THANKS To ALL Suggestions and Help.
John K.

You can use PageScript by Abee Systems This allows you to print to any Windows printer.

Many printers are still usable from DOS based Clipper, you can often send control or escape sequences to the printer to modify the way it prints. Ian Boys
DTE Systems Ltd

Thanks [Bozz]. I'll check them out.
ANY OTHERE suggestions??

HELP!!!
ANYONE Else With ANY OTHERE suggestions??

John, I feel your desparation. I finally held my nose and jumped into Foxpro five years ago only because of the Windows printer problem. There is really no good solution except using one of the libraries for Clipper that let you do this.

Frank

Thanks Frank [fmoore0001],
Any idea of available libraries, especially any Public Domain-Free??
Thanks,
John
Anyone Else have any suggestions??

Thanks Frank [fmoore0001],
I'll check it out.

You can also use "write /p [file name]" from the DOS command line to print files with WordPad (instead of Notepad).

Thanks [pbsd],
Any Idea if there are any command-line options to re-set any margins?
Thanks

Just make some 8, 9 or 10 point font the default, and any 'new' file wil be opened using that, and also printed...

HTH
TonHu

Try writing to text files. You could use SET ALTERNATE TO xyx.txt and run a report or SET PRINT ON and use the ? "xxx" commands then SET ALTERNATE OFF and CLOSE ALTERNATE. You can then print your reports by right clicking and printing.

Thanks [TomM40],
Haven't tried that yet, but I will.
Do you think that'll work with any windows printer?
Thanks.

Openup notepad, select a different fontsize,(Format/ Font/ Fonnt, Style and Size) and exit notepad.
Next time I open it, the last used font, style & size is still selected, so I assume, on youre system it should also.

HTH
TonHu

Install the printer once more. There is a question like "Do you want to print MSDOS? or something like that. Answer yes.
and configure output to LPT1

In a Net environment, Use a batch file like this:
NET USE LPT1: \\somename\portname
MYPROGRAM
NET USE LPT1: /DELETE

Hope be useful

JLucio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back