Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem printing using windows server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktai

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2005
US
Right now I have all our mac os x computers printing using appletalk, which seems to work just fine. We just purchased software that tracks and limits users' printing. The software is installed on the windows server 2003 print server and works with all our Windows XP machines. Since the macs print with appletalk, they bypass the windows print server and go straight to the HP JetDirect boxes we have on each printer. I want to setup the macs to print through the Windows Server using the Print Server for Macintosh service. I was able to set it up and install the printer on the Mac OS 10.4 computer, but when I try to print anything, I get:
%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: languagelevel ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

I have tried different printers with different drivers, but this keeps coming back. The windows computers can still print.
Thanks for any help.

This is "by design"! The Windows spooler is not a postscript printer consequently the Macs cannot print through it.

Thanks for your reply, Zelandakh, I guess I am still a bit confused. What exactly does the Print Server for Macintosh service on the windows server do?

Actaully, the best way for a Mac to print to a Windows 2003 queue on a network is via LPD. It is true that you cannot print via PostScript this way unless you set up a queue that uses a postscript driver on the server, providing the printer supports postscript and drivers are available.

We support over 50 Macs printing on our Windows network in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back