Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

problem printing in leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbjohn

Technical User
Jul 28, 2008
US
I recently upgraded to a macpro desktop running the latest leopard operating system. I have a hp designjet 800ps printer attached via a usb cable. I have downloaded the latest driver for this printer from HP and added the printer to the printers list. Although the printer is shown as listed; I am unable to print anything. I have even tried changing the language setting of the printer itself; when set to HPGL/2 or auto the printer does nothing; if I set it to PS, I get an error message. I have been over this issue with HP to no avail. I really need someone to help me. Thnx much

Sometimes, it helps to have the printer connected to the computer and turned on before installing the driver. Also make sure you check your cables for proper connection.

First, you might try trashing all HP printer software from your machine. I'm assuming it was connected to an earlier mac before. That's especially true if you migrated stuff from another machine. Then see if it works without the driver. hook it up, turn on and see if the mac will recognize it and add to the printer list.

If you're using a rip, have you checked for updates to that?

Last hook up the machine, turn it on, install the HP software and see what happens.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Cancel any print jobs,uninstall the printer, trash any HP prefs for that printer, unplug the power and USB and reinstall.
I would try (after removing all HP printers and prefs)

Turn off computer, plug printer in, restart computer, then attempt to add printer - the driver in OS X may be more appropriate/better for your printer.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

thanks for the suggestions.Found out that I was had been using Microspot x-rip but needed to update to the version that is
intel compatible. I did so but still when I try to print the job is immediately shown in the printer window as stopped so I don't know what I am still doing wrong. Any suggestions??

Have you un-installed the printer from your Mac? I had a user with similar issues not to long ago and that is what resolved his issues. Complete un-install and reinstall would be my next step if you haven't done so already.

You can also try and login to a different user on the same box, if you don't have one, create one. and try and rpint o the printer - what are the results?

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Generally, if it's showing Stopped, it means that print jobs for that printer are stopped. You have to trash the print jobs in listed for that printer and hit the Restart printer button in the print dialogue.

Since you updated your rip, you had prefs for that rip that were meant for a non intel mac. Look for the rips's prefs and trash them.

Also read the instructions for both the rip and the printer. In some cases you have to install the rip first then printer, in others it's the opposite and in others it doesn't matter. If you have to reinstall the printer software, make sure you trash EVERYTHING associated with that printer first.

If you migrated a lot of stuff over from your previous machine, a lot of that stuff will be incorrect due to the Intel switch. Check your user prefs folder for everything related to print and trash those prefs. You should find prefs for Apple print (preceded by "com" in the prefs folder, HP, and, of course, your rip.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back