Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem printing certain e-mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayE

Technical User
Jun 23, 2001
GB
Hi,

One of my colleagues has a very, very puzzling problem - I support the IT systems in the company I work for.

If he wants to print an e-mail from Outlook 2000 to his local network printer (a Kyocera FS-1800 laser printer), it refuses to print (even the printer icon doesn't come up in the system tray), but he can print the same e-mail to a HP Deskjet 690C printer (also a network printer, but connected locally to a PC and shared to him).

The odd thing is that this problem only affects certain e-mails he wishes to print, and I can't spot any pattern. And he can print fine from Word/Excel, etc.

My first thought was to remove and re-install the Kyocera printer driver from the server. No difference.

The only other thing I can think of is to remove and reinstall Outlook 2000.

But I really don't understand what's going on here - Do you?

Regards,
Jay/UK

If other users can print emails to the same printer with no problems then it could be that the driver is corrupt on the users PC. You should try removing it manually then reconnecting to the printer:-

To completely remove a Printer and Print driver, perform the following tasks:

1. Remove the printer from Print Manager
2. Delete the printer Drivers located in %windir%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\2 and/or \0 and/or \1
3. Edit the registry and delete the driver references at:
Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\WIndows NT x86\Drivers\Version-1 for NT 3.51
Hkey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\WIndows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2 for NT 4.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\PrintersFor a Network printer, edit:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections\<Server Name>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers\LanMan Print Services\Servers\<Server Name>\Printers4. Restart the computer
Reconnect to the printer

If this doesnt work and removing/reinstalling Outlook doesnt cure it, then I'm stumped too!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for these instructions.

I had tried to remove and reinstall the printer driver from the local PC, but didn't go into the registry on the PC at all.

The main printer driver is installed onto an NT 4 server which makes it available to several users. All the other users don't have any problems printing to it.

The local PC is a Windows 98 PC.

Please confirm if the registry instructions you have given me are to be applied on the Windows 98 PC in this situation.

Regards,
Jay/UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back