Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem opening explorer from desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

S7eve

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
I ran a program to prompt for a password before opening explorer and may have removed it incorrectly.

The problem I now have is that when I click on Windows Update from the Start Menu or try to Access my mail through MSN Messenger it refuses to open explorer. If I open explorer first then (for example) click Windows Update from the Start Menu it then works fine.

I'm pretty certain that the File Types (In Folder Options) has got messed up.

Can anyone tell me which File Types I need to edit to get things back to normal???

Cheers

Steve

Are talking about Internet Explorer or Windows explorer shell?

Did you try System Restore to go back to a restore point where everything worked. Look at the file types and note them. Try uninistalling your program again and see if you still have the problem.

I've changed too much since my last restore point to go back.

The program is already uninstalled. I tried putting it back on and taking it off again but that didn't work either.

I note that, but just sneak back and look at the settings that worked for you, then undo the restore point to be in your present position again.

Any idea what settings I should be concentrating on?

I would right click on the non working shortcuts to Windows Update and Messenger and select properties and look at the details then and now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back